John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

Replace and EGR Valve on a Honda Civic

Customer Question

Replace and EGR Valve on a Honda Civic
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I can assist you. What is the year and engine type?
John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Honda 2002 4 cylinderSOHC LX
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2002 Honda Civic LX SOHC
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Why is it that the egr valve needs to be replaced?
John G., Honda Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the check engine light came on. I went to Auto Zone P1498
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the egr valve is simple to change. Here is a picture of it. There is one wire connector to unplug, then remove the 2 nuts at the base of it with a 12mm socket and extension. Then just make sure the part where it mounts is clean, install the new gasket on the studs, then the new valve and reinstall the 2 nuts and the wire connector

CLICK FOR IMAGE

THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX NOT NEED TO CLICK ACCEPT AGAIN.

Everytime you do that it pays another 9 dollars.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It seems that there is some confusion as to whether there is an EGR on the 2002 LX. Is it certain that there is one on my vehicle
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
What state do you live in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Illinois
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, according to my information the egr valve is on all ex civics and only 04-05 lx models.

I have not ever seen one go bad to this point, is it possible the code was p1456 or p1457?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At one point it was 1456. At that point the trouble light that said Maintenance required c am on. Now the little engine icon came on and the code was 1498
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

There had to be a misread on their part, the 1456 makes sense. This can be caused by a loose gas cap or a failure in the fuel tank vapor recovery system.

Take a look under the hood and compair the photo I sent with your engine and see if there is an egr there. If you have a 2002 USA lx civic you cant have that p1498 code

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it is clearly a 2002 LX. I have had a check engine light on for some time. That would rule out, most likely, a faulty gas cap. How do I check in the fuel tank recovery system
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Its not serviceable without special equiptment.

This would require a dealership visit to diagnose it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I clear the troubler light and should I do that
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
You can go back to auto zone and have it cleared, thats usually free there
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. You have been helpful
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you're welcome,