Derrick
Derrick, Honda Technician
Experience:  Platinum level honda technician, honda owner, enthusiast. ASE master tech certified.
16157406

check engine light code says i need a 3rd gear pressure switch

check engine light code says i need a 3rd gear pressure switch for my 1999 odyssey. can i install this myself? if I do, is the fault code automatically eliminated, or must it be reset by the dealer?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Derrick replied 8 years ago.
Hi! It is entirely possible for you to replace this yourself, to do so you may need to remove the front splash shield for access. It is very easy, here are the instructions and a picture showing exactly where it is. I recommend also draining the fluid and refilling the fluid, 4 quarts is sufficiant. To clear the engine light simply disconnect the battery before you start and reconnect it when you are done and it will be reset.

1.Disconnect the connector from the 3rd clutch pressure switch.

2.Replace the 3rd clutch pressure switch, then install a new one with a new sealing washer. Tighten the switch on the metal part, not the plastic part.

3.Reconnect the connector, making sure there is no water, oil, dust, or other foreign particles inside it.
graphic