John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.

1992 Honda accord Clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed

1992 Honda accord Clutch pedal went to the floor and stayed there. It started and is stuck in reverse. Will not shift gears even when engine is off. Is there anything I can do myself?
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I can help you with this. Your car has a hydraulic clutch system. Either the system has developed a leak and there is now air in the lines or there was a mechanical failure with the pressure plate or release fork. Check the fluid reservoir and see if there is any fluid in it. Its the smaller one next to the brake master cylinder. If its empty look under the dash where the clutch pedal meets the firewall. You may see the fluid leak in that area. If so you need a new clutch master cylinder. If no leak there, the cylinder on the transmission or the line may have a leak.

It should come out of gear if you release the parking brake and push the car foreword slightly. If it wont there could be a cable or internal transmission problem.

John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

All of the fluids are full. In the small one beside the master cylinder, I see fluid. I don't see a full level gauge on it. So I am presuming that seeing fluid means it is full.

My sons and I tried pushing the car foward. We did get it to move a little bit. The car still remains in reverse.

I did notice some fluid in my parking space at work the other day so perhaps there is a leak. I need to know how to find and repair the leak or something?

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

I suspect its not a hydraulic issue if you see fluid. The fact that is wont shift is bad too.

With the engine off, you should be able to operate the shifter normally even with a clutch problem. If you can, locate the 2 large shift cables on top of the tranmission and disconnect them and see if you can move the 2 levers manually.

If not there is an internal problem, I attached this link. There is a picture of the cables on the first page. CLICK

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok great. Cry Thanks though.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Have a good evening.