Derrick
Derrick, Honda Technician
Experience:  Platinum level honda technician, honda owner, enthusiast. ASE master tech certified.
16157406

1995 honda accord: small light fuse blowing

1995 honda accord with small light fuse blowing. I am having trouble finding a short, where are the most logical places to check?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.
Hi! Is this a 2 door or 4? Do you know what number fuse? What symptom do you have? Aftermarket anything installed? such as a radio?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
4 door LX. the number 32 fuse is blowing so no tailights or dash lights. I have checked the rear bulbs and harnesses for visible shorts.
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.
There are a few possibilities, first does it have an aftermarket radio? Also there is a service bulletin availible for this. This is what the bulletin states: Blown #32 Fuse on
’94-96 Accord A blown #32 under-hood fuse on a ’94-96 Accord may be caused by a loose connector cover on the wire to one of the sunvisor vanity mirrors. To check it, remove the
sunvisors, and look at the end of the RED/BLK vanity mirror wire. If the connector cover is loose, attach it to the wire with electrical tape.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry, I should have mentioned that I checked the visors... I read that in a previous post. I have checked most of the wiring harnesses in the interior of the car. I disconnected the dashboard light unit and I disonnected both sunvisors and unplugged the connector in the trunk and the fuse still blows.
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so thats out. lets see is there a non honda radio installed? I have seen the illumination wire for the radio which is not needed or used on a non honda unit short out and cause this problem.
Derrick, Honda Technician
Experience: Platinum level honda technician, honda owner, enthusiast. ASE master tech certified.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the stereo is non honda. It was installed using an adapter plug several years ago.
Expert:  Derrick replied 5 years ago.
If the orange wire on the adaptor plug was not taped up and insulated it could very well be the culprit. I have a diagram and can provide you with it if you do not have one. There are many possibilities for this and I am more than happy to walk you through each one.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well that fixed it! I unplugged the stereo and the problem was solved. do not see any loose wires but the fuse is not popping. Thanks... my wiring diagram did not show the radio as a possibility but it makes sense.

thanks again