Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,
1627031

The DRL Daytime Running Lights on my 2003 Honda Odyssey stopped

Customer Question

The DRL Daytime Running Lights on my 2003 Honda Odyssey stopped functionning. The DRL light on the dash came on. I located a burnt 10a fuse on the passenger-side interior fuse box and replaced it. It burnt after 2 minutes of use. Where should I look next?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Hello stormin normjazz, if this fuse is blowing then the problem is within the daytime running light control module or in the DRL relay. You would need to check the wiring for these two circuits for a short to ground. Is this something you plan on fixing yourself?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes I'd like to fix this myself. I've located the 4 prong lighting relays under the hood but am not sure how to test them. I'm also not sure where to find the DRL control unit and how to test that. I just bought a multimeter and learning about what it does.Any hints?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
According to the Haynes manual for testing the relays for continuity, there seems to be no continuity between terminals 1 & 2 when I power terminals 3 & 4 from a battery charger. There is this buzzing sound from each relay when I connect to a charger at terminals 3 & 4.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I substituted the 2 lighting relays with the AC condenser and rad cooling fan relays. Same result: the 10a fuse blew once more after 5 minutes of running the engine. Might there be another relay to check? Before all this started, I would here a 10 second buzzing noise coming from under the dash on the driver side everytime I started the engine. Now that the DRL fuse is blown I don't hear that buzzing anymore.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
By the way, I hit ACCEPT to let you know that I'm still around and serious about getting to the root of the problem. Can you respond to my follow-up question please? Thanks
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Sorry. I have been logged off. The noise under the dash sounds like it may be the DRL relay that is causing the issue. It is located as shown below.

graphic