Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Honda tech. ASE certified technician

how do i replace brake pads on a honda odyssey van 2004

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Are you replacing the front or rear brake pads? Are you also replacing the rotors?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
<p>2004 honda odyssey ex dvd van</p><p>59000 miles on it</p><p>i want to replace the brake pads and rotors if needed on all 4 wheels</p><p>also bleed or replace the fluid</p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i like to go by the honda factory service manual but i don,t have one
i also like the parts break down pictures
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Ok

Replacing the brake pads and rotors is not that difficult. I will attach the Honda procedures but also give you a desription. To remove the calipers remove the 14mm bolts. Remove the pads then the 17mm bolts holding the anchors to the knuckles. You will need to remove the phillips screws holding the rotor to the hub. These screws are usually tight so an impact driver will help to remove them. Once removed the rotor will either need to be hit off with a hammer or screw in two 8 by 1.25mm bolts into the rotor which will pop it off the hub. You will need a C clamp or equivalent to push back the caliper pistons. I recommend that you crack open the bleeder screw so you do not push the fluid back into the master cylinder. Once reassembled with an assistant helping you bleed the brakes. Pump the brakes til you get a good pedal. Then starting with the passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front have an assistant pump the brakes then hold down the pedal. Then you crack open the bleeder. Do this til you get a steady stream of clean fluid to each wheel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the attachment
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks do you have the rotor replacement attachment
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the last thing would be a emergency brake adjustment attachment
brake fulid bleeding or fluid change attachment

very helpfull attachments thanks you are great!
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Your van uses a seperate parking brake cable drum setup. Here is the adjusment procedure.

Adjustment

Bleeding

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I need the rear rotor replacement attachment please The one you sent was for the front only
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

It's pretty much the same. Once the caliper and anchor bracket is removed unscrew the phillips screws then use the bolts to pull the rotor off the hub.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how about the emergency brake assy and adjustment

and the brake fluid bleeding and replacement procedure attachments.

do you know where I could go on the web to look at honda service and repair books?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Honda tech. ASE certified technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any free web site to view honda service books
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is there any free wes sites to view honda service books?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
There are no free sites. You can go onto the forums to see if someone has posted them. You can also go onto alldatadiy.com and sign up for the service for one vehicle which is a small charge.