Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,

How much should a complete brake job on both front brakes cost

How much should a complete brake job on both front brakes cost for pads and rotors for a 2002 Honda Civic EX. A range is fine.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer are you having this done at the dealer or at an independent shop?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The work is being done at an independent shop. It is my daughter's car. She was driving late last night and heard a loud grinding sound. She pulled over and realized that something was seriously wrong with her front brakes. She ended up having it towed to a repair shop that is open 24 hours a day. They are telling her that the Honda parts are very expensive and that the fix will be $750 for both front brakes. Is that possible?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
The front brake job should cost about $175 for parts and labor. The rotors would be about an extra $70 each. As for the rears, this vehicle would have rear drums unless it is an SI model. Are you sure this vehicle has rear disc brakes?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm not sure about whether it has rear disc brakes. They told her that the parts for the two door were more than the four door. That doesn't make any sense to me. If it is relevant it is the 2002 EX model.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have to leave to go back to work. I'll check back sometime after 5:00 Central for your answer.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
The rotos are different from both vehicles but the are only about $10 different. Did they say if the vehicle needed calipers also? If not then this should only cost about $320 for front brakes and rotors.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it needs calipers as well. They told me the cost of the two calipers is over $300.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Are they installing brand new calipers or remanufactured calipers?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
They must be instaling brand new calipers. They told me the cost of the caliper parts was over $300. Is that possible?
Expert:  Fixitman replied 7 years ago.
Even if they use brand new calipers these are only about $100 each from the dealer. And remanufactured ones are just as good at about $70 each. I think this place is trying to rip you off.