02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

I have a 1995 Honda Accord, to replace the front rotors do

I have a 1995 Honda Accord, to replace the front rotors do I need to remove the suspension at the upper and lower ball joint to get the front hub off?
Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

Here:

You will need to remove the steering knuckle to access the front rotors. You will want to skip down to removal of the steering knuckle first, then back up to the rotors.

1990-95 Accord

See Figures 4 and 5

1. If equipped with an air bag, disconnect the negative battery cable and properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), as detailed in .
  2. Loosen the lug nuts, then Raise and safely support the vehicle on jack stands.
  3. Remove the wheels.
  4. Remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle. Please refer to for procedures.
  5. Remove the 4 bolts retaining the hub unit to the steering knuckle and remove the hub unit.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 4: Remove the 4 bolts retaining the hub unit to the steering knuckle and remove the hub unit/rotor assembly.

1. Remove the 4 bolts, then separate the hub unit from the brake rotor.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 5: Remove the 4 bolts, then separate the hub unit from the brake rotor.

To install:

1. Assemble the disc to the hub unit and tighten the bolts to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
  2. When installing the hub to the knuckle, use new self-locking bolts and tighten them to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
  3. Install the steering knuckle.
  4. Lower the vehicle and check for proper brake operation.
  5. If equipped, enable the SRS system and connect the negative battery cable.

To remove knuckle:

1990-95 Accord

See Figure 2

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with an air bag, properly disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS), as detailed in .
  2. Pry the spindle nut stake away from the spindle, then loosen the nut.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Remove the wheel and the spindle nut.
  5. Remove the caliper mounting bolts and the caliper. Support the caliper out of the way with a length of wire. Do not let the caliper hang from the brake hose.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. 2: Exploded view of the knuckle and hub assembly used on 1990-95 Accords.

1. Remove the cotter pin from the tie rod castle nut, then remove the nut. Separate the tie rod ball joint using a ball joint remover, then lift the tie rod out of the knuckle.
  2. Separate the ball joint and lower arm using a puller with the pawls applied to the lower arm.
  3. Remove the cotter pin and the upper ball joint nut. Separate the upper ball joint.
  4. Remove the knuckle assembly by pulling it off the half shaft.

To install:

1. Install the knuckle/hub assembly on the vehicle. Tighten the upper ball joint nut and the tie rod nut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm) and install new cotter pins. Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 40 ft. lbs. (55 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
  2. Thread a new nut onto the spindle until it is snug.
  3. Install the caliper and wheel.
  4. With the vehicle resting on the ground, tighten the spindle nut to 180 ft. lbs. (250 Nm). After tightening, use a drift to stake the spindle nut shoulder against the spindle.
  5. Properly enable the SRS system, if equipped, and connect the negative battery cable.

graphic

graphic

graphic

It is usually a good idea to replace the front wheel bearings if you plan on replacing the rotors, this prevents from possible seizure of the bearing or any future noise if have not been done. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

If this has helped, please press ACCEPT.

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience: 3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.