Kyle N.
Kyle N., Honda Master Tech
Experience:  Honda Dealer Tech, ASE Master Auto Tech

Honda Accord EX: V6..power steering pump..i crank it..colder

Customer Question

03 Honda Accord EX V6                           &nb sp;                               My power steering pump sounds like it's going bad when i crank it in the mornings and it's cold outside...40 degrees or colder. When it's warmer it doesn't do it. I've replaced the belt and the fluid level is correct. I'm not sure if the previous owner used honda power steering fluid....i'm assuming they did.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

If it's making noise when cold the fluid is broken down and needs to be replaced. It doesn't last forever. If you get about 4 bottles of Honda power steering fluid you can change it by taking off the return line at the reservoir and letting the fluid go into a coffee can. You have to have someone willing to turn the car on/off while you fill the reservior back up quickly as it drains out. You don't want to starve the pump of fluid.
Let me know if you need more help,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So draining just the resovoir will be enough?
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

Sort of,

You're not just draining it. You're draining it once, filling it up, draining it again, etc..

So really it's more of a fluid change. You should get it all with 4 bottles of fluid and you can see the color changes to a lighter color.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great....thanks for your help
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.
No problem!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

We just had our first cold morning since I ran 5 new bottles of Honda fluid thru the system and it still sounds horrible. Please advise.

Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

If you take off the cap to the reservoir is the fluid all foamy or does it look slightly foamy but ok otherwise?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No foam at all when the car hasn't been running. Start the car and let it run for a little while....3-5 foam. not sure about first thing in the morning though.
Expert:  Kyle N. replied 7 years ago.

If it's still making noise and you don't see foam I think the pump has a bad bearing most likely. I hate to tell you that because I had you replace the fluid but that's sometimes what happens in these cases. It could be the bearing is going out and when cold it's amplified. I'm sorry I was wrong in this case about the fluid I didn't mean to make you waste your time. Honestly if it was in my stall at my dealer I would have flushed the fluid as a first step. So you'll have to replace the pump to make it right again. Honda has reman. units or you can go used if money is an issue. Used isn't that bad as most give a warranty and will exchange if it's no good.

Let me know if you need more help.