John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

Jumped..it to advance auto and had them test my care charging system

Customer Question

my car has to be jumped off everytime I let it sit for 24 hours or 48 hours. If I drive it daily it is fine. I took it to advance auto and had them test my care charging system. they said my alternator is not putting out amps. could it just the the alternator because i dont wont to waste money if it is something else.
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I can help with this. I need to know the year and model Honda please...

Just as a brief overview, it sounds like you either have a weak battery as well or an electrical accessory that is stuck on.

Also let me know if there are any aftermarket add-ons, radio, amp, dvd ect.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2002 honda accord ex 4 door 4 cylinder
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

How many miles?

Any aftermarket electrical accessories?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it has 96k and all i have is a cd player and a sound system. I have unplugged it to see if it was that but it still had to be jumped off 24 hours later.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the alternators are very good on that year Accord, its in the mileage ballpark where it can fail. Almost evertime one fails you will have a charging system warning light on though. Also, normally the car will run out of electrical power while driving, say a night when the heater, lights , ect are on.

I would have the battery tested for sure. There is a way to test for a draw on the system too. Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i dont but. and there are no lights on on my car indicating a battery needs replacing thats why i can not figure out what it could be. and I dont want to spend to much money to figure out something if it is small.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

There are no lights to tell you if the battery is bad. The battery light on the dash will come on to indicate if the charging system is not charging.

If the battery hasnt been tested, do that first. The car cannot go dead while its parked with everything off because of an alternator thats bad.

If the battery is strong , have someone do a parasitic draw check, to see if anything is stuck on. I suspect a weak battery is the cause however

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a yellow power top battery. and the guy at advance said that is why it does stay crank when i jump it is because it the best battery. they also said that the atlernator has something on it the might be stuck open i would have to take the alternator off to get it tested. do you reccomend me getting a new alternator or getting a new battery.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

I hate to replace anything without testing it first, but if I had to I would get a battery.

Again, its very unusual to have a bad Honda alternator and NOT have the battery light on when the engine is running. Even the best batteries go bad.

It can be worth having the electrical system tested completely before replacing anything.

There are shops , including Honda dealers who will do it for a minimal cost.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do that instead of paying 500 dollars for a new alternator at honda. Thanks alot. It has just been baffaling me and I cant figure it out.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, good. I see many of these alternators last 150-200 thousand miles.

Good luck, John

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks alot John. one more question could it at all have anything to do with the sound system.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

We you had stated that you disconnected it, so I dont think so.

Like I said, if they hook up an amp meter they can measure the draw with everything shut off. There is a specific amount that is acceptable, anything over that can run the batter dead, even a good one in a day or two. Its like leaving an interior light on for 2 days.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay well when i did get the system checked they said my alternator was not putting out any amps. what could that mean.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
If that were true, when you were driving somewhere at night with the lights on, heater on, radio on, ect it would be like you left all of those things on when the engine wasnt running. The battery would be dead in an hour.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its not its. It will crank up after I jump it off and if i drive it everyday it is fine its when I dont crank it for 24 or 48 hours. acutally if I drive it for one whole day it will crank the next day. but if i just crank it ip and cut if off. The next day it will be dead. I have to jump it off again.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Right, I understand. If the alternator was not putting out any amps, the battery would go dead either while you were still driving it, or it would not start the same day. Even if you shut it off and went in to the store and tried to start it after 20 minutes.

The fact that it starts the same day or even the next day means its got to be putting out amps. When the car is idle for a longer time ,the battery is either weak and its loosing charge on its own or there is an unwanted electrical draw.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay I will get it checked. thanks John
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Have a great weekend.

Regards, John

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

If you need anything else you can still contact me on this question after its checked out.

Please click accept if you are satisfied so that I receive credit for this.

John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i did not mean to put three dollars i meant to leave 30 can you send it back so i can add more money
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

It shows 30 here. its good. THANK YOU!!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Good night,