Honda Team Leader
Honda Team Leader, Honda & ASE Master Certified Tech.
Experience:  11 Year experienced Honda & ASE Master Certified Technician. Michelin PAX Tire Certified.
11307422

2004 Honda Element: battery dead..Need code to activate DVD radio

2004 Honda Element battery dead - now charged. Need code to activate DVD radio.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda Team Leader replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Do you have the vehicles original paperwork?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I bought it from a wrecking yard. It is a salvage but looks brand new after I had the back end completely restored. But I do not have the manual for it.
Ok open the glove box and look at the sides (inside and out) for any white stickers with black numbers or letters on them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I just came back from looking everywhere inside and out and underneath. No white stick anywhere around the glove box. This happened once before. I wrote down the number but someone cleaned out my car and through away the paper I had written the code on.
No problem! Try this; Turn the key to on with the radio off. Then press and hold the #1 and #6 radio preset buttons down then turn the radio on while still holding 1+6. The radio should give the serial # XXXXX two parts. One set of #'s followed by a second set. Record these #'s and get back to me.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I did what you said. I turned the key to on then I pressed the 1 and 6 then I turned on the radio keeping the 1 and 6 pressed. I got this number 21087549 then later it showed CODE 6 I kept holding down the 1 and 6 for a long time to see if another set of numbers would show up but that is all I got. I also noticed that the anti theft light was blinking red on the unit.
Great! You got it right. The red light will blink when the code is not entered. I have the radio code for you. In order to input it correctly, you'll need to get in the under-hood fuse box. With the key off, pull the BACK-UP fuse and count to 10. Then re-install the fuse. This will re-set the radio to the first code attempt. turn the key on and then the radio. Push 66633 and the radio should come on! Let me know if it worked.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When we did this before we did not need to go through the holding down the 1 and 6 we just needed the code 66633 and that does seem familiar since we did it before and it worked fine. But now you are asking me to put the back up fuse. I do not know where the back up fuse is. They are not labled. We are under the hood. Can you please let us know where the back up fuse is. do you have a diagram as there are many fuses. thanks

CLICK HERE to view.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok we took out the back up fuse counted to 10 put it back in and then turned on the key and turned on the radio and the CODE 6 was still showing. I then pressed 66633 and now it showes CODE 3. It didn't work. Help.
Did halfway through entering the code the audio system beep several times? If it did, just push a number until it does again and I think says error. As soon as it beeps several times, STOP and re-enter the code starting from the beginning.
If that does'nt work for any reason, you may need to un-hook the battery and hold the cable ends together for one minute. This will dis-charge th capacitors in the vehicle that keep memory during temporary interruption. Then re-enter the code from the beginning as directed before. You're almost there! I am getting offline now, so i will check for your response in the morning. Have a good night.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wow!! it worked. sheesh. I don't know if I am going to remember all the steps you gave me. But it is on now. Thank you.

Next time if the battery runs low and the radio goes off again. Can't I just put in the code when the window is blank with out going through the steps and having that CODE 6 showing in the window. I think that is all I did last time and the radio did come back on just by putting in the 66633, I think that was the code they gave me. I really don't remember. I lost it so decided to see if anyone knew what the code was. Don't you think that would work too? I will accept and give you a great report but just need to know if you think that will be ok in the future. thanks again for your answer.
No problem Im still here! I hope you'll accept the answer and leave feedback for me! Thanks for your business!
Experience: 11 Year experienced Honda & ASE Master Certified Technician. Michelin PAX Tire Certified.