thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

i have a 2000 honda crv no start. replaced dist. cap, rotor,

Customer Question

i have a 2000 honda crv no start. replaced dist. cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires, ignition module. 125 psi compression. timing belt is fine timing marks line up. fuel pressure good. spark seems weak. can you help
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 8 years ago.

Sure, no problem. Let me ask you a couple of basic troubleshooting questions and we will get started. Is your check engine light coming on when you turn the ignition switch on the going back out within 3 seconds?

Has your check engine light been on before this happened.

Tell me what happened to the CRV. (example, driving then died, etc)

How many miles are on it?

Thanks.

Chuck

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes the check engine light comes on and shuts off within 3 seconds. no engine light on. just went out in morning to start and would not ran fine before. miles 143,974

Sounds great. Good info. You said your spark looked weak, so I'm leaning toward a coil issue.

Remove the distributor cap and spin the engine over, make sure the rotor spins.

Check for oil or metal shavings inside the distributor housing. If any are present, replace the distributor assembly.

Now lets test the coil. Turn the ignition switch on, distributor cap off. Check for 12 volts at the black/yellow wire that fastens to the coil with the small phillips head screw. If you have around 12 volts, next

Turn the ignition switch off. Use an ohmmeter and check the resistance between the 2 screw terminals on the coil (detach the wires first), it should be between .63-.77 ohms

Check the resistance between the "a" terminal (the one the black/yellow wire was attached to) and the tip of the coil where the spark would come out. It should be between 12.8 -19.2 ohms.

If either of these are out of spec, replace the coil.

If you don't have access to an ohmmeter, remove the coil and look for burn marks in the side. They will arc through usually, when they go bad. I have replaced several of them in the past year. If you need anything else, let me know. Keep this question open until we know for sure your problem is repaired. Thank you for allowing me to assist you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you very much it solved the problem

You are welcome. If I can help you in the future, let me know.

Chuck

thebesthonda