Steve, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  13+ years with Honda,ase certified over 25 years

HOnda Accord 1998 EX, V6 Trouble codes P0108 (Map/baro ckt

Customer Question

HOnda Accord 1998 EX, V6:Trouble codes P0108 (Map/baro ckt high input);P0113 (IAT sensor 1 ckt high);P0401 (EGR flow insufficient);P1456 (evap emission control system leak detected). Car started having troubles after the coolest night in many years (freezing temperatures). Can move faster than 20 mph and it would shut off if I try to go faster - Please help.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
Was the check engine light on prior to this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Steve, let me start by clarifying that the car will NOT move faster than 20 mph,

The check engine light had been on for 2 or 3 months. A previous scan stated that the problems was possibly a leak in a vacum system or the EGR valve. I replaced and tighten the gas cap, but this didn't fixed the problem. About two months ago, I removed the EGR valve and try to clean it but this didint turned off the check engine light. This morning, it was almost impossible to drive the car out of the parking spot because it seemed to be starving for gas (eventhough the tank is full). The car starts up sharp w/o any trouble, but when you start to move (in low revolutions) it tries to shut down. Also if you press down the gas a little faster I will stop moving shut off. I am not sure that the check engine light is related to this NEW damage, but it apperas to me that the light is related to the emission system and shouldn't afect this much the performance. In you opinion, are all the trouble codes related?

Here are the codes I retrieved from the car one hour ago:

P0108: Map circuit high input

P0133: IAT sensor circuit hight input

P0401: EGR insufficient flow detected

P1456: Evap emission control system detected (fuel tank system)

Thank you for your prompt response.

Expert:  Steve replied 7 years ago.
The P1456 and P0401 having been there before are not causing this. There are a couple service bulletiens I will link you to. One is for the EGR problem(ports in manifold plug up), The other would be for the P0108 code.
The P0133 may be causing your problems along with the P0108. The IAT may have set due to the weather.. click here for the P0108 info and click here for the P0401 info.