roach
roach, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  honda dealership master mechanic since 1973

I HAVE A 94 HONDA ACCORD EX..CODES 4 AND 9 CAME UP..I DID THE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 94 HONDA ACCORD EX..CODES 4 AND 9 CAME UP..I DID THE TEST AND IT SAYS EVERYTHING PASSED..TAKE TO DEALER..WHATS UP
Category: Honda
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

code 4 is crankshaft position sensor

code 9 is #1 cyl position sensor

both are in your distributer and non replasable

you will have to replase at least your distributer sub assembly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i already know that ..it was running fine and then i changed the water pump cause it was leaking..alternator belt..and power sterring belt..was still going fine..then i take it to car wash to clean engine and all of a sudden the check engine light pops on and now it is running crappy and wont go faster then 15 mph...doesnt want to stay started..so i did the jumper checked the codes..got 4 AND 9..pulled distributor cap no water in it..no water in spark plugs or anywhere else i can see...no wires disconnected that i can see either..so again i say whats going on do you think..thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok i dont see your new answer only the first one you gave and it already told me what i knew so i was more speciffical to you
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 5 years ago.

Hi Kathy,

After replacment of the water pump, was the performance of the engine as good as before? If not, the timing belt could have been installed incorrectly causing the poor performance. I would suggest checking the ignition timing.

The CEL could have been triggered by water getting to the harness. Is the CEL still showing after checking the distributor cap for water? If yes, you would need to test the distributor crank position and cylinder position sensor, they could have just failed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the codes indicate they failed but when i do the test the book says to do it all checks out correct indicating working fine...but then it says if all test are correct take to dealer..

Hi Kathy,

Is the CEL still showing?

Did you reset the ECM?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK I DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN BY CEL...SO CANT ANSWER THAT QUESTION..PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THAT IS...AND NO I DID NOT CLEAR THE CODES...THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS TO SAY THE LEAST...NOW I HAVE CODE 8 AND 9 SHOWING...I RECHECKED THE TIMING IT IS GOOD RIGHT ON ..WHEN I CHECKED THE DISTRIBUTOR ELEC PULG I KNOW HAVE CONTENUITY AT PIN A ..965 OHMS ..IS WHAT ITS SHOWING...ALL OTHER PINS STILL SHOW CORRECT SPECS PER MANUAL WITH 0 OHMS FOR GROUND..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SORRY I GATHER BY CEL YOU MEAN CHECK ENGINE LIGHT..IF SO YES IT IS STILL ON HAS NEVER WENT OFF...NOR HAVE I CLEARED THE CODES...
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

clear your codes if they come right back on you will have to replace the sub assembly

very possible something went wrong with magnetic part of sensor

also just to be sure you could always double check the cam timing to make sure it didn't jump if it did jump possible you didn't have your cam belt tensioned right

you hadn't mentioned you replaced the belt until i signed back on

if cam timing is on and car recodes you will have to replace sub assembly

roach, Honda Mechanic
Experience: honda dealership master mechanic since 1973