HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician

2000 honda: cylinder timing belt striped & Im replacing it

I have a 2000 honda crv with a 2.0 4 cylinder engine. my timing belt striped & I'm replacing it. I got very lucky and there was no valve damage. I'm having a little trouble locating the timing marks on the crank. there is a small round dot on what a pears to be a gear on the crank or there is a machined line on the spline where the harmonic balancer goes right next to the key way. If I use this mark the 1st cylinder is at tdc, but the belt is very loose between the crank and the exhaust cam. Also wondering about the cam positions. there are definate arrows that say up on them for their position. when the exhaust cam is in the up position it rests perfectly in a position where their their is no tension on the valve springs. the intake cam however requires you to slightly apply pressure when the arrow is in the up position. is this normal. or should all valves be closed at this point?
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to,

Here is a link showing the timing marks for the belt. click here

there should be slight pressure on the intake side of the valve.

With both cams at the up position-look for a line up hole in each cam. It is recommended that you installed two punches in these holes in order to hold the cams in place. It almost inpossible line up the belt correctly with out doing this.

Let me know if you need any other help.