jimh, Honda Technician
Experience:  honda master tech ase master tech

2006 honda: van..the front blower motor..blower works..gone bad

I own a 2006 honda odyssey van, the front blower motor has stopped working all of the sudden, the rear blower works just fine. A mechanic seems to think the blower resistor has gone bad. Part on order. While trouble shooting the problem the battery goes dead, seems to think it occured because of accessories left on during the trouble shooting process. He attempts to recharge the battery but it will not hold a charge, he replaces with new battery and guess what it is being drained also. Something is draining the battery since the trouble shooting of the blower motor resistor which by the way that part has not been replaced. What is draining the damn battery???????????
Submitted: 7 years ago via
Category: Honda
Expert:  jimh replied 7 years ago.
try leaving the resister unpluggedand see if it still loses charg or you would have to try a voltage drop test
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
user name isCustomer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jim , the resistor plug has been unplugged as a matter of fact it was in the center console. I reinstalled it to see if it would change the outcome of a draining battery, it didn;t.

Expert:  jimh replied 7 years ago.

then you need to hook a meter to the battery and you can start removing fuses until you find the one that stops the voltage then trouble shoot that circuit

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Standard process of elimination. I was hoping for something a little more direct. I can't imagine why a draining problem would occur all of the sudden from a simple troublshooting issue that they think is a blower resistor failure.
Expert:  jimh replied 7 years ago.
hi that is the best way unless you can find something like a door switch or interier light staying on have not seen this problem to often esp in a odyessy
Expert:  jimh replied 7 years ago.
hi try removing the ac relays i have seen them cause the ac clutch to stay on and drain the battry that is what we have found in some cars
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jim, if the A/C system is turned off or at least a temp. setting is put in that would not require use of the A/C with the van running would i be able to see the clutch engaged on the compressor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

jim, I have isolated the circuit to the vsa controll system. How do i reset this so it will not draw the battery down. With this answer I can gladly accept your answer for services rendered.

Thank You

Expert:  jimh replied 7 years ago.
hi it may be a bad control unit if that is the case it would need to be replaced or what you can do is disconnect the battery and and hold the 2 terminals to gether for a bout a half and then retry the system but you need to check if there are any codes in the vsa system
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jim, Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, I am a corporate pilot for Lowes Market and I often get called out spur of the moment. It turned out not to be the vsa system after all. The mechanic was looking at the wrong fuse block slot on the fuse block cover. Instead it was the rear defroster system. The voltage drop test is exactly what he did and isolated it to a relay controlling the rear defroster. What caused the relay to stay stick in the closed position was the result of a test light probe being driven through the side of the relay case and causing an internal short in the relay. I.E. mechanic induced failure. I have a new relay on order and that will fix the problem. With the stuck relay in place the amperage draw is 12amps per hour thus every three hours it will drain the battery. Thank you for your help and your answere to do a voltage drop test.

Jeff H