Rob826, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Auto Business owner, 15 yrs experience, ASE certified

Trying to replace the belt tension pulley on my 98 Accord 2

Trying to replace the belt tension pulley on my 98 Accord 2 Dr EXV6. I thought this would be simply removeing the center bolt from the pully. The engine compartment wall blocks the bolt from coming all the way out! I have removed the upper and lower bolts on the pulley mount but is will not come off. I appreciate any insights.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Rob826 replied 7 years ago.

Hey kenney

You should be able to remove the bolts holding the belt tension pulley, after you removed the belt then you will need to remove the 3 bolts holding the pulley bracket in place. These bolts should be able to be removed just as is. If the side wall is blocking the bolts from coming out then you will need to remove the side engine mount.

You will place a floor jack underneath the cars engine oil pan but put a piece of flat wood on in between the jack and the oil pan. raise slightly until you make contact with the oil pan and then remove theside bolt holding the engine mount. Once this is done then raise the engine with the jack untill you are able to remove the tensioner. Be carefull not to overlift as you do not want to damage anything.

I hope this helps you. If you still need more help then let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't know if this makes a diffrence but I really just want the pully out not the whole assembly is there a easier way? If not where is the engine mount bolt located?
Expert:  Rob826 replied 7 years ago.

well in order to replace the tensioner you need to remove the whole assembly. if you have to remove just the wheel you may damage the tensioner as it is spring loaded.

The engine mount is located in front of the engine belts it holds the engine up and it attaches to the body of the car. There is a long 17mm bolt that can be unscrewed and then the engine mount will disengage from the body of engine which will allow you to raise the engine and there fore will give you space to remove the bolts on the tensioner.

Now you need to be sure that it is the tensioner that you are removing and not the idler pulley?