roach
roach, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  honda dealership master mechanic since 1973
14634814

my 1992 honda accord abs light comes on after pressing the

Customer Question

my 1992 honda accord abs light comes on after pressing the brakes for the first time when driving. what could be the cause of this problem?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
I would look at a faulty wheel speed sensor as the cause. It could be other causes but I would start there. Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

we checked them there does not apear to be anything wrong with them, is there a specific way of checking them? wouldnt the ABS light stay on if there was a abs sensor that is bad. the light stays on until you step on the break peddal

Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

you need to first use the blue two pin service connector located around the blove box you need to jump it then turn ignition to on it will blink codes long and short in groups

need to know what cose is (4-1 = 4 long one short)

Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

but actually most of the severe testing requires a honda abs test box and t-handle bleeder wrench

that was the eary abs system and was only used from 1900-1993 on the accord

but if you can get a code sometimes i can be of help on telling you what area it is

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what codes are there? I am not at the car. So I know for tommorow. Or are you goign to be available tommorow?
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

i'm on line almost every eve

if not i check regularly

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I actually am gonna need the answer in the morning. can you help me out with codes today?
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.
if you get the codes yes i'll be up for a little longer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am not where the car is, can you give me a few different most common codes? if not that is ok i will try to figure out tommorow

Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.
also any troble code will be displayed once 10 seconds after bulb check when you turn ignition from off to on (engine off)
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

the biggest to worry about is a code 1

a single blink within 10 secs of the bulb check and car not running means pump overun and means needs a new pump or modulater or both

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It only turns on when I press the breaks though
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

the light will come on during bulb check then 10 seconds after if you have not started the car the light will display code if any one time

if you miss it or want to recount you have to recycle the key

roach, Honda Mechanic
Experience: honda dealership master mechanic since 1973
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok will try this stuff tommorow headed to bed. thanks
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.
ok me too
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the jump with the blue connecter it did not give me an error code. i replaced the ABS pump the light is still on. we replaced the computer as well no change. The light comes on after pressiing the breaks five or so times. Is it true that You have to have a honda dealership clear the computer? or is there a way to clear it your self? thank you
Expert:  roach replied 5 years ago.

no you can clear it yourself

next to the fuse box under the hood you will see a smaller fuse box exclusivly for the abs system

remove the b2 fuse and it will clear

also when you check for codes jumping the blue connector make sure its the one that has an orange/red and green/white wires coming out of it

also connect it before you turn the key then turn key on abs light goes thru bulb chack and only sisplays code one time so you might have to try more than once watching for it

its hard even for some techs to catch

i usually have to do all light counting at my dealership