02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.

What is the recommended oil for a Honda Accord?

Customer Question

I have a Honda Accord 2008 /10k miles. What type of oil do I have to use? Does it have to be synthetic?

Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 7 years ago.

Honda recommends a 5W-20 motor oil. It does not have to be synthetic, but if you would like to use a synthetic oil for longevity of engine that is strictly up to you. I would recommend a synthetic oil to anyone who is willing to spend that little extra money up front. I would also suggest Amsoil, Red Line, or Royal Purple. These are true synthetic oils. Most shelf bought synthetics are only partially synthetic, even if they say different. A true synthetic oil you can get more mileage & longer period of time between oil changes. Now with the newer systems, like maintenance minder, it would be kind of a headache. The car is designed on the type of driving that is done & mileage estimated for the maintenance minder to work properly.

You can use a 5W-20 motor oil like on page 316-317 of the owner's manual & you will be on track for the maintenance minder system to operate correctly & probably less headaches. Any other questions, please let me know.

Thank you.