John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.

Honda Civic: explode and is it covered under warrantee

why would a Honda Civic 2006 rear window explode and is it covered under warrantee?
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I can help with this.

Is it extremely cold where this occured?

Was the rear defroster on?

You are sure that nothing hit the window?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I live outside NYC where is was snowing or wintery mix. The rear defroster was on but nothing hit the window.
Expert:  John G. replied 7 years ago.

I have seen this happen a few times , we had an Odyssey not long ago do this.

If the glass is cold and the defroster has a damaged or defective line in the grid it can create a hot spot and cause the window to blow out.

In the case of the Odyssey it was covered by warranty. You just need to tell them exactly how it happened.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
now that you mention that, there was a small area in the rear window that did not seem to defrost and ice remained on the window. Is this a sympton of that defroster problem?
Expert:  John G. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, thats exactly what that was.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So I need to contact my Honda dealer and see if the window is covered under warrantee since it's an electrical problem. Is that correct?
Expert:  John G. replied 7 years ago.
The only thing they may question is if one of the lines was damaged by someone, like if a sticker was on there and scraped, or if an object was on the rear shelf and scratched it. The grid is basicly a bunch of wires printed onto the surface of the glass. It can be physicaly damaged.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can they check the wiring to see if it was scratched or if the damage was always present?

Expert:  John G. replied 7 years ago.

There is no way to check if the window is destroyed, It cant really be determined either way.

If they dont seen willing to cover it, you can call Honda and ask for goodwill coverage.

The customer service number is XXXXX your owners manual.