02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.

2001 Honda Civic EX: I use 2003 Honda Civic transmission

HI. I need to replace my 2001 Honda Civic EX transmission. Could I use 2003 Honda Civic transmission? I was told the 2004 Honda civic transmission will definitely not work for my 2001 Civic because Honda built their transmission differently. And the 2003 trans may have some parts replaced that I might not be able to use for my 2001 Honda. Is this true? I'm having a difficult time finding a 2001 Honda transmission for my car, there are only 2003 transmission available in my area. I hope you can help me with this. Thank you.

Welcome to Just Answer!

Is this is manual or automatic transmission?

If it is an automatic, were you aware that Honda had increased the warranty on their automatic transmissions? It is 7 years or 100,000-110,000 miles.

Have you regularly had the car serviced at the dealership?

Have many miles are on the car?

Please let me know, so I can further assist you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Wes! Thank you for getting back to me so quick.
Its an automatic transmission. I took my car to be serviced couple weeks ago at a Honda dealership. The service rep told me it will cost about $6,000 to replace the transmission and timing belt. My car is now at about 91,000 miles. My car has been serviced elsewhere, not at a dealership. No, I was not told about the warranty. Has this extended warranty start recently?

Honda had extended the warranty a couple years ago, when they realized they were having problems with almost all models with the automatic transmissions. I would see if you local Honda dealership is willing to honor this warranty. If not you can contact American Honda @ 1-800-999-1009; M-F, 6AM-5PM PST. Do not have any work done with the transmission until you get a confirmation with a fix from American Honda. I do not know exactly if your car will be 100% covered or if they will split the cost with you. If that is the case, they usually cover the cost of the transmission & you cover labor or vice versa. Whatever Honda agrees to & you have the transmission replaced by Honda, I would request your local Honda dealer give you some sort of deal with the timing belt as well, to earn & keep your business for the future. That's what I would do, but every place is different. Note: most Honda or Acura dealers do not want the general public to know about the warranty on the transmissions, in hopes to get people to have to pay full on that sort of job. It is full profit for them. Honda also has not been pushing it publicly either, it may cost them future sales for there cars, so I think. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Wes, I called American Honda about the extended warranty. Apparently the Civic is not covered, only the Oddessy, Accord, and Prelude. And according to my VIN # XXXXX recalls has been issued for my vehicle. Bummer! Would you know if the 2003 transmission will work with my 2001? Or I need only a 2001 transmission for my car? Thank you.

I guess Honda has covered some & not others. I will check into the transmissions for you.

Do you have a 2DR or 4DR? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 2 door Honda Civic EX Coupe Automatic.

Thank you

I have confirmed a 2002 Civic automatic transmission will work. No one can confirm if the 2003 transmission will work. I had 2 people I spoke with say no, but could not confirm. A couple people said in line with Honda's, every 2 years some changes happen, but not sure if the transmission was one of them as well. A couple people did mention to match the transmission codes on the housing of transmission. I myself am a little bummed that I could not find some more information for you. Now information I was able to check was that the 01-04 transmission housings were the same part #, it was not until 05 when it went to a different part #. One thing you may want to try to see if it may help would be to drain the transmission fluid & refill with genuine Honda ATF 3-5 times. When filled to proper full mark, drive the car through all gears & then drain. That may know it has in some situations. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.