Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

1999 honda accord fuel pump and fuse is fine no power to fuel

Customer Question

1999 honda accord fuel pump and fuse is fine no power to fuel pump when yoy turn the key on you get a 12 volt reading for a second and then goes away why does the power go away
Category: Honda
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
If you are talking about at the pump.. this is normal.
The 1 second 'burst' of power is only to pressurize the fuel system.

Whats the problem.. engine not cranking up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes the engine is not cranking because the pump is not getiing power to run it and there is nothing wrong with the pump
Does it get power for that 1 second.. like you referred to?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on a volt meter it does but it doesnt last long enough to make the pump do anything. when we unhooked the fuel lines from the pump to see if anything was being pumped through and there was still nothing working. we hook up the fuel pump directly to a seperate battery and the pump worked just fine. im thinking that its something electrical?? what could it be and how do i fix it???
OK.. We need to do a little test...

Get a can of carb or brake cleaner.. or even starting fluid (anything flammable), and spray some in the throttle, or the brake booster vacuum hose, where it goes down into the engine.. Spray a good bit, too... then try to crank the engine..

Does it start and run for the 1-2 seconds until the fluid burns out of the engine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes we treid this. it did start and run until the fluid burnt out then died again
Sorry, I have to go.. I don't want to leave you hanging, but.. something just came up, and I have to leave for a while.

I will send you to another expert, though, and they will be able to help you.

Hang in there, they will come along shortly.
Sorry !!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello??? in addition to my other questions do u know if theres a relay and where it would be located??
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

ase_master327 asked me to take over for him as he has to go.

You need to first check the PGM-FI main relay, located behind the dash just to the left of the steering column. This is a very common failure:

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how would you know if the relay is the problem?? is there a way that you can test it? or can you tell by looking at it???
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, I forgot to include that. Below in pdf file format(adobe reader) is test procedures:

TESTING

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
in the picture it show that the main relay is located behind the vent, cruise control button, and moon roof bottun. i look in the exact spot located in the picture and im not finding the main relay anywere in this area, is there somewhere else it might be located??
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

It is further to the right. As I stated it is just to the left of the steering column. That puts it more behind and just below the instrument cluster.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.