HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician

1998 honda civic ex: I tried removing the spark plug tube seals

I am replacing the valve cover gasket on my 1998 honda civic ex. When I removed the valve cover, I tried removing the spark plug tube seals, but they have melted to the valve cover. How can I remove them?   I have dug out most of one of them. I am not sure I want to remove the other three unless there is an easier way.
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to,

unfortunately there is no easy way to loosen and remove these seals. You just have to be patient and work slow. you could try spraying some penetrating oil on the seals to see if that loosens it up some.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has taken well over 1 hour to remove one of them. Is it worth removing the other three if I have not seen evidence of oil on my spark plugs? Also, will the tiny scratches from the screwdriver I am using to remove the old seal matter?
if they feel stiff and not pliable it is a good idea to replace them. a screwdriver or a thin scraper is about all you can use
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Last couple of questions.

1) When I replace the valve cover gasket, do I need to put rtv sealant on it

2) Is it imperative that I get out every little piece of old spark plug tube seal before installing the new one?

1) yes you need to add rtv to the corners where the round part of the gasket meets the cylinder head (four places)

2) You need to get as much of the old seal as possible in order for the new seal to do its job