John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.

Power Steering pump noise and bubbles in the fluid

On saturday, me and my uncle replaced a cam seal we did not disconect the power steering pump we just took it off the bracket moved it to the side. After we were finished it ran fine and after we cut it off there was a puddle of fluid on the ground.We started it again It was really noisey then it got quiet but the noise sounds like a bearing sound when the car is driven it still pumps and the steering gear is not seizeing but the noise still remains while driven and bubbles in the fluid.

Hi, hope I can help. The pump is sucking in air on the intake side. There are a few possibilities where this can happen.

There is an o-ring under the fitting where the inet hose attaches, many times that leaks after distrubing the pump. The other possibility is the pump shaft seal, if the seal is dried out and the belt is a little too tight it will suck air in past it, especially cold.

Check the nipple o-ring first.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1994 accord
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did see a little bit of fluid on the inlet hose of the pump
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my uncle did put it a little too tight also we re adjusted it

Ok that might do it.

If not unbolt the inlet nipple where the hose fron the resevoir attaches to the pump

The o-ring will be very hard and shrunken

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i took the hose of the inlet hose I did not see a o-ring
My manual shows that the part where the hose attaches can be removed from the pump. Is there a bolt that holds it on? The o-ring is under the fitting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
<p>i mean the inlet of the pump but it does look like a o-ring does belong the pipe of the pump has a round belly on it and the hose belly's then goes skinny</p><p> </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it has the clamps were you have to squeeze to release

Does the part on the pump, where the hose attaches look like it can be removed from the pump?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
in the hanyes book the o-ring is stated to be on the discharge side not the suction and the suction pipe is welded on the pump

see the inlet joint? o-ring under there

Ok, your car has a different pump on it.

You need to remove the pulley and get a new front seal, that should solve the problem

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my fault there is a bolt were you hookup the return manifold-pipe of the pump I am guessing since I have a lil bit of oil on the return pipe and near the bottom of the pump and not on the alternator, a/c compressor it has to be that o-ring behind the return manifold-pipe assembly.
Thats it, seems to happen alot when we do timing belts, or any time the pump is disturbed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am going to repair it tommorrow
ok good luck.