John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.

MY check engine light in a HONDA ELEMENT 2003 went on tonight

MY check engine light in a HONDA ELEMENT 2003 went on tonight at 120,140 miles on the odometer. Also, my SRS seat light came on months ago ... should i be concerned? Are these major costs to fix?

There are many causes of a check engine light coming on.

Can be as simple as a loose or missing gas cap. A common problem at that mileage is a bad oxygen sensor or a catalytic convertor problem.

You need to either go to a dealer or other shop or go to a large parts store where they can pull the code for you. I could then tell you the problem

The srs light is similar. Need to have the trouble code read an diag. from there.

Some srs problems are lifetime warranty. some can be very costly

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hmmmm a gas cap? Well I did notice some white crystal-like gunk on my Honda OEM keyed gas cap...and just brushed it off. I've also recently put in one of those fuel injector cleaners that you can buy at the auto shop...hoping that would be a good maintenance idea since the car is up there in miles. HONDA dealerships are soooo expensive when it comes to maintenance. This is why I go to Tires Plus. Any thoughts?

Most big parts stores will read your trouble codes for you for free.

Get back to me with the code or codes and it may be something you can do yourself

or have it done at tires plus