John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

How to replace front & rear brake pads on 2002 Honda Accord EX V-6

No Comment Added
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

The timing belt is a critical part of the engine. There are many ways to make a mistake replacing one and it can be very costly if it goes wrong. Internal engine damage ect can occur.

I have seen trained Honda techs screw it up.

It can cost between 500-800 dollars depending on the area you live it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My first question and my real concern was how to replace the front & rear brake pads on a 2002 Honda Accord EX V6.

This is my first time on this website, so I am not that familiar with it, so after I entered my question about the brakes a box came up and asked if there were any more questions. I responded my asking about the timing belt. I didn't know that there would be an additional charge for that info.

I am willing to pay for detailed step by step instructions for replacing the brake pads, which I have not gotten as of yet, and I am assuming that I will get that info soon, but haven't rec'd any confimation that the answer is in fact coming soon. ????Please advise

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

I can send that, no problem.

Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
  1. Front
    Notes

Front Brake Pads Inspection and Replacement

CAUTION: Frequent inhalation of brake pad dust, regardless of material composition, could be hazardous to your health.

• Avoid breathing dust particles.
    • Never use an air hose or brush to clean brake assemblies. Use an OSHA-approved vacuum cleaner.

1. Loosen the front wheel nuts slightly. Raise the front of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported. Remove the front wheels. Remove the brake hose mounting bolts (A) from the knuckle.
    2. Remove the caliper bolt (B), and pivot the caliper (C) up out of the way. If the caliper pin head is the hex. type, the caliper bolt should be removed using a wrench while holding the caliper pin with another wrench. Check the hoses and pin boots for damage and deterioration.

1. Remove the pads (A), pad shims (B), and pad retainers (C).

1. Using vernier calipers, measure the thickness of each brake pad lining. The measurement does not include the pad backing plate (A) thickness.
    2. If the brake pad thickness is less than the service limit, replace the front pads and shims together as a set.
    3. Clean the caliper thoroughly; remove any rust, and check for grooves and cracks.
    4. Check the brake disc for damage and cracks.

1. Install the pad retainers (A).

1. Apply Molykote M77 grease to both sides of the pad shims (A) and the back of the pads (B). Wipe excess grease off the shim.
    2. Install the brake pads and pad shims correctly. Install the pad with the wear indicator (C) on the inside. If you are reusing the pads, always reinstall the brake pads in their original positions to prevent loss of braking efficiency.

1. Push in the piston (A) so the caliper will fit over the pads. Make sure the piston boot is in position to prevent damaging it when pivoting the caliper down. NOTE: Check the brake fluid level, the brake fluid may overflow the reservoir if too full.
    2. Pivot the caliper down into position, being careful not to damage the pin boot. Install the caliper bolt (B), and torque it to proper specification. If the caliper pin head (C) is the hex. type, the caliper bolt should be installed by using a wrench while holding the caliper pin with another wrench. Install the brake hose onto the knuckle.
    3. Press the brake pedal several times to make sure the brakes work, then road-test. NOTE: Engagement of the brake may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set. Several applications of the brake pedal will restore the normal pedal stroke.
    4. After installation, check for leaks at hose and line joints and connections, and retighten if necessary.
Rear
Notes

Rear Brake Pads Inspection and Replacement

• Avoid breathing dust particles.

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and make sure it is securely supported. Remove the rear wheel.
  2. Release the parking brake.

1. Remove the brake hose (A) from the suspension arm by removing the mounting bolt (B). Thoroughly clean the outside of the caliper to prevent dust and dirt from entering inside. Support the caliper with a piece of wire so that it does not hang from the brake hose.
  2. Remove the two caliper bolts (C) and caliper (D) from the bracket.

1. Remove the pad shim (A) and brake pads (B).

1. Using vernier calipers, measure the thickness of each brake pad lining. Measurement does not include pad backing plate (A) thickness.

1. Remove the pad retainers.
  2. Clean the caliper thoroughly; remove any rust, and check for grooves and cracks.
  3. Check the brake disc for damage and cracks.
  4. Install the pad retainers.

1. Apply Molykote M77 grease to the pad side of the shim (A). Wipe excess grease off the shim. Contaminated brake discs or pads reduce stopping ability. Keep grease off the discs and pads.
  2. Install the brake pads (B) and pad shim on the caliper bracket. Install the inner pad with its wear indicator (C) facing downward. If you are reusing the pads, always reinstall the brake pads in their original positions to prevent a momentary loss of braking efficiency.

1. Rotate the caliper piston (A) clockwise into the cylinder, then align the cutout (B) in the piston with the tab (C) on the inner pad by turning the piston back. Lubricate the boot with rubber grease to avoid twisting the piston boot. If the piston boot is twisted, back it out so it is positioned properly.
  2. Install the brake caliper (D).
  3. Install and torque the caliper bolts (E) to proper specification.
  4. Install the brake hose (F) onto the suspension arm with the mounting bolt (G).
  5. After installation, check for leaks at hose and line joints and connections, and retighten if necessary.
  6. Press the brake pedal several times to make sure the brakes work, then test-drive. NOTE: Engagement of the brake may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set. Several applications of the brake pedal will restore the normal pedal stroke.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How can I print the answer to my question?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
can you right click your mouse and then hit print?
John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.