John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

I have a 1999 Accord EX coupe & the car alarm keeps going off.

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Accord EX coupe & the car alarm keeps going off. My nearest dealer is 75 miles away & I'm in college in Rhode Island. My dad is 260 miles away & I need to get my brother, who lives nearby, to disable the alarm - it is driving me nuts & sounds in the middle of the night. When I get home for Thanksgiving I can have my dad's Honda dealer fix it or take it out. It is the Honda original factory installed alarm. My dad's Honda dealer (Mohawk Honda in Schenectady) says they don't believe that there is a fuse that they can pull unique to the alarm system - whatever that means.
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Hi, I hope I can help.

Have you tried to take the batteries out of all your remotes?

Sometimes they malfunction and cause the panic alarm to sound.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We've tried different remotes and used the vehicles without remotes. The remotes ore out-of-range when the vehicle trips the alarm. It has been happening at odd hours. As you know, there are no "motion" trips on this vintage alarm. Every alarm installer site on the web says that there is a "blue wire - factory alarm disable" wire located under the driver's door side power window switch. However, there are no instructions as to what to do with that wire - do you ground it, disconnect it or wire it to 12v hot. Also, there are no specifics as to how the wire can be found - is it connected to the power window switch, connected to something else or just passing through the general area of the power window switch.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok so thats eliminated.

Have you ever parked it with the hood switch disconnected. If its causing the problem this will keep it from tripping.

I am not aware of the method to disable it sorry.

Although if you ground the hood switch wire the alarm will think the hood is open and it cant be armed.

iIf it still goes off you have an alarm control unit problem

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John - If the hood is open & I lock the car, the alarm arms just fine. When I close the hood, then the alarm goes off ... are you saying that the "ground" will keep the alarm from sensing the hood switch closure & not alarm? Also, I can't say that the hood switch is the problem. My daughter rarely if ever, opens the hood ... consistent with 22 year old daughter behavior ... My thought is that it is related to the trunk - as the alarm seems to go off many hours later, on a day that the trunk was used. Now there are wires to the remote actuator in the trunk and there are wires to the lock cylinder. Since Honda doesn't give out the alarm wiring, I have no idea which of those wire bundles hook to the alarm switch. In fact, I don't know where the trunk alarm switch is exactly.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, when the hood is closed the hood switch wire is not grounded.

If the hood switch is bad, it will intermitently ground the wire, telling the control unit the hood has been opened. Then the alarm sounds. If you unplug that wire going to the switch and there is never a problem again, then you need a hood latch.

If it still goes off, then we need to go to the next possibility. I like to eliminate things one at a time from most common the least.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John - Sounds like a good idea. The car is 260 miles away ... I'll go down there this weekend. If the hood doesn't do it, how do I disconnect the trunk switch?
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.

That switch works the same way, grounds when open. Disconnect the green wire.

John G., Honda Technician
Experience: Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

John - I wanted you to know that you were a big help. I sent a bonus - hope you got that too. The JustAnswer receipt I received doesn't show that you did. Don Eisenhower.
Expert:  John G. replied 5 years ago.
Wow thanks, XXXXX XXXXX ifyou need more help. Thanks again