02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.

how do you change the alternator belt on a 2003 honda civic

how do you change the alternator belt on a 2003 honda civic lx 1.7 4 door?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

2003 Honda lx 1.7

Already Tried:
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

Accessory Belt Routing

Accessory drive belt routing-1.7L engine.

Loosen the mounting bolt (B), lock bolt (C), and lower bracket mounting bolt (D), loosen mounting bolt (E). Remove power steering belt, them remove the alternator-A/C belt. Then install belts & adjust belts. Let engine run for 5 minutes & re adjust belts if needed.

Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How Do I Get To It?

You will open hood & they will be to your right looking into the engine bay, will be on the driver's side of the car. Here maybe a better picture:

Locate power steering pump
Red: loosen the upper mounting bolt (pictured) & lower mounting bolt (not picture - located near power steering pulley).
Blue: Once the two mounting bolts are loose, turn the adjustment nut counter-clockwise to loosen up the power steering belt. Take off belt once it is loosen to the point where it can be taken off without excessive force.

Step 2
After taking off belt, completely remove upper and lower mounting bolts. Put power steering unit aside (do not remove any hose). Oven mitten was used to protect paint.

Step 3
Now that the power steering unit is out of the way, the alternator should be a breeze to get out. I learned later that it was not and had to take out bumper and driver's side headlight in order to get it out.
Edit: Just remove the two upper and lower power steering brackets (little piece of metal with 10mm bolt), power steering reservoir bracket (12mm bolt) and the alternator should slide out freely w/o removing headlight and bumper.
Red: Loosen alternator upper mounting bolt (pictured)

Step 4
slightly loosen up driver's front side wheel lugs, jack up front driver's side and place on a jack stand

Step 5
Take off lug nuts and wheel.
Red: See that splash shield? Remove the red plastic tapping screws and pull it out of the way

Step 6
Red: Power steering belt that was taken off of power steering pump earlier
blue: Next on your hit list. This is the alternator & AC belt

Step 7
Blue: loosen lower alternator mounting bolt
Red: look at this screw - it is the belt adjusting screw (picture from another angle in next step)

Step 8
Red: This is the belt adjusting bolt in step 8. Turn this bad boy counter-clockwise until the belt begins to loosen and can be removed.

That may help even more. Thanks to Honda Inspired. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.