02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

How do you change the timing belt on a 2004 Honda Odyssey?

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

Here:

Removal & Installation
J35a1 And J35a4 Engines
NOTE The radio may contain a coded theft protection circuit. Always make note the code number before disconnecting the battery.

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
  2. Turn the crankshaft so the white mark on the crankshaft pulley aligns with the pointer on the oil pump housing cover.

Crankshaft and camshaft timing marks at Top Dead Center (TDC)-J35A1 and J35A4 engines.

• Open the inspection plugs on the upper timing belt covers and check that the camshaft sprocket marks align with the upper cover marks. WARNING Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before removing the timing belt. Failure to align the timing marks correctly may result in valve damage.
  • Raise and safely support the vehicle and remove both front tires/wheels.
  • Remove the front lower splash shield.
  • Move the alternator tensioner with a Belt Tensioner Release Arm tool YA9317, or equivalent, to release tension from the belt and remove the alternator drive belt.
  • Remove the alternator belt tensioner release arm.
  • Loosen the power steering pump adjustment nut, adjustment locknut and mounting bolt, then remove the power steering pump with the hoses attached.
  • Support the weight of the engine by placing a wood block on a floor jack and carefully lift on the oil pan.
  • Remove the bolts from the side engine mount bracket and remove the bracket.
  • Remove the dipstick, the dipstick tube and discard the O-ring.
  • Hold the crankshaft pulley with the Handle tool 07JAB-001020A and Crankshaft Holding tool 07MAB-PY3010A, or equivalent. While holding the crankshaft pulley, remove the crankshaft pulley bolt using a heavy duty 3/4 in. (19mm) socket and breaker bar.
  • Remove the crankshaft pulley, the upper timing belt covers and the lower timing belt cover.
  • Remove one of the battery clamp fasteners from the battery tray and grind a 45 degree bevel on the threaded end of the battery clamp bolt.
  • Battery hold-down bolt installed to hold auto-tensioner-J35A1 and J35A4 engines.

• Screw in the battery hold-down bolt into the threaded bracket just above the auto-tensioner (automatic timing belt adjuster) and tighten the bolt hand-tight to hold the auto-tensioner adjuster in its current position.
  • Remove the engine mount bracket bolts and the bracket.
  • Loosen the timing belt idler pulley bolt (located on the right side across from the auto-tensioner pulley) about 5-6 revolutions and remove the timing belt.
  • To install:

1. Clean the timing belt sprockets and the timing belt covers. WARNING Align the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets with their alignment marks before installing the timing belt. Failure to align the timing marks correctly may result in valve damage.
    2. Align the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket with the oil pump pointer.

Crankshaft sprocket Top Dead Center (TDC) mark-J35A1 and J35A4 engines.

Camshaft sprocket Top Dead Center (TDC) mark-J35A1 and J35A4 engines.

• Align the camshaft sprocket TDC timing marks with the pointers on the rear cover.
  • If installing a new belt or if the auto-tensioner has extended or if the timing belt cannot be reinstalled easily, the auto-tensioner must be collapsed before installation of the timing belt, perform the following procedures:
    1. Remove the battery hold-down bolt from the auto-tensioner bracket.
    2. Remove the timing belt auto-tensioner bolts and the auto-tensioner.
    3. Secure the auto-tensioner in a soft jawed vise, clamping onto the flat surface of one of the mounting bolt holes with the maintenance bolt facing upward.
    4. Remove the maintenance bolt and use caution not to spill oil from the tensioner assembly.
    5. Should oil spill from the tensioner, be sure the tensioner is filled with 0.22 ounces (6.5 ml) of fresh engine oil.
    6. Using care not to damage the threads or the gasket sealing surface, insert a flat-blade screwdriver through the tensioner maintenance hole and turn the screwdriver clockwise to compress the auto-tensioner bottom while the Tensioner Holder tool 14540-P8A-A01, or equivalent, is installed on the auto-tensioner assembly.
    7. Install the auto-tensioner maintenance bolt with a new gasket and tighten to a torque 72 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
    8. Install the auto-tensioner on the engine with the tensioner holder tool installed and torque the mounting bolts to 104 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
  • Adjusting the auto-tensioner-J35A1 and J35A4 engines.

• Install the timing belt in a counterclockwise pattern starting with the crankshaft drive sprocket. Install the timing belt counterclockwise in the following sequence:
    • Crankshaft drive sprocket.
    • Idler pulley.
    • Left side camshaft sprocket.
    • Water pump.
    • Right side camshaft sprocket.
    • Auto-tensioner adjustment pulley.
  • Torque the timing belt idler pulley bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
  • Remove the auto-tensioner holding tool to allow the tensioner to extend.
  • Install the engine mount bracket to the engine and torque the bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
  • Install the lower timing belt cover and both upper timing belt covers.
  • Hold the crankshaft pulley with special tools 07JAB-001020A handle and 07MAB-PY3010A crankshaft holding tool, or equivalent tools. While holding the crankshaft pulley, install the crankshaft pulley bolt using a heavy duty 3/4 in. (19mm) socket and a torque wrench and torque the bolt to 181 ft. lbs. (245 Nm). WARNING If any binding is felt while moving the crankshaft pulley, STOP turning the crankshaft pulley immediately because the pistons may be hitting the valves.
  • Rotate the crankshaft pulley clockwise 5-6 revolutions to allow the timing belt to be seated in the pulleys.
  • Move the crankshaft pulley to the white TDC mark and inspect the camshaft TDC marks to ensure proper timing of the camshafts. WARNING If the timing marks do not align, the timing belt removal and installation procedure must be performed again.
  • Install the engine dipstick tube using a new O-ring.
  • Install the power steering pump, and loosely install the mounting bolt, adjustment locknut and adjustment nut.
  • Adjust the power steering belt to a tension such that a 22 lb. (98 N) pull halfway between the 2 drive pulleys will allow the belt to move 0.51-0.65 in. (13.0-16.5mm).
  • Tighten the power steering pump mounting bolt and adjustment locknut. NOTE If a new belt is used, set the deflection to 0.33-0.43 in. (8.5-11.0mm) and after engine has run for 5 minutes, readjust the new belt to the used belt specification.
  • Install the alternator belt tensioner arm.
  • Move the alternator tensioner with a Belt Tensioner Release Arm tool YA9317, or equivalent, to release tension from the belt and install the alternator drive belt.
  • Install both engine mount bracket bolts and torque to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
  • Install the bushing through bolt and tighten to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).
  • Release and carefully remove the floor jack.
  • Install the front lower splash shield.
  • Install both front tires/wheels.
  • Carefully lower the vehicle.
  • Install the battery hold-down bolt in the battery tray.
  • Install the negative battery cable.
  • Enter the radio security code.
  • Any other questions, please let me know. hank you.

Wes

If this has helped, please press ACCEPT.