mauricio
mauricio, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  15 years working in all makes and models
12133139

1998 honda accord: My check engine light is..code reads..evap system

Customer Question

I have a 1998 honda accord with appx 155k miles. My check engine light is on and I didn't pass inspection. The code reads P1457 which is related to the evap system. The dmv tech said he didn't think it is a bad sensor since the system status shows it is ready. Any suggestions?
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1998 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder
Expert:  mauricio replied 5 years ago.

This is a code for a leak in the evaporative system on the charcoal canister side of the system. The first test is to locate the canister vent shut valve on the side of the charcoal canister and the bypass solenoid under the cover next to the canister. Both solenoids have a Black/Yellow wire that supply voltage to the solenoid. The first check is to verify there is voltage to the solenoids, key on. If there is voltage to both solenoids, the second wire is the wire the engine control (ECM) module will ground to control the solenoid. On the canister vent shut valve, back probe the Green/White wire and ground it and verify the valve will close and hold vacuum, also verify it will open when the ground is taken away. If it fails replace it. Then on the bypass solenoid, ground the Blue wire and verify that solenoid will click and operate. If possible verify the engine control (ECM) module can ground the solenoids when commanded threw a scan tool. If either solenoid fails replace the solenoid and see if the code resets. If the solenoids pass their testing an evaporative simulation test will need to be performed

You common problem is a Defective Evaporative canister vent shut solenoid and or bypass solenoid and two way valve

mauricio, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 15 years working in all makes and models
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Mauricio, I wouldn't have guessed it. I thought it was as simple as replacing the gas cap but that didn't work so I knew it had to be something else. Any idea how much the cost will be do either fix it or replace the canister?
Expert:  mauricio replied 5 years ago.
PartOEM PartPrice
Canister Purge Solenoid
Solenoid Valve17012S84A01$76.75Notes
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Canister Purge Solenoid
ReplaceB0.20.5

Labor around $100

Expert:  mauricio replied 5 years ago.

I just found this Technical service bulletins from Honda about this code 1457, you should call Honda 1800 number and see if they goodwill this repair under the warranty, don't cost anything to ask.

MIL ON - DTC P1457 Set
Notes

01-011

March 6, 2001

Applies To:
1998-99 Accord - See VEHICLES AFFECTED

MIL Comes On With DTC P1457
(Supersedes 01-011, dated January 23, 2001)

SYMPTOM

The MIL is on, and DTC P1457 [leak detected in EVAP control system (EVAP control canister system)] is set.

PROBABLE CAUSES

The symptom could be the result of any of these causes:

^An EVAP system component fails.

^The PCM does a diagnostic test on the EVAP system before the primary heated oxygen sensor (H025) is active. If this happens on two consecutive driving cycles, the MIL comes on and DTC P1457 falsely sets.

*^The EVAP system depends on operation of the EVAP control canister vent shut valve for the diagnostic self-test. If the valve does not function properly, the MIL comes on and DTC P1457 sets. This condition can occur with vehicles normally driven in any of the states listed below Failure of this component does not affect the performance of the EVAP system.*

VEHICLES AFFECTED

PCM Failure:1998-99 Accord - L4 models with A/T

EVAP Control Canister Vent Shut Valve Failure:1998-99 Accord - All models normally driven in any of these states:

Illinois New Hampshire Indiana New York Iowa North Dakota Maine Ohio Massachusetts Pennsylvania Michigan Vermont Minnesota Wisconsin

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Retrieve the DTC with the PGM Tester, and review the Freeze Data. Depending on whether the feedback condition of the primary H025 reads "open" or "closed," take the appropriate action described in DIAGNOSIS.

PARTS INFORMATION

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.