jimh
jimh, Honda Technician
Experience:  honda master tech ase master tech
11886422

how do i reset the anti theft on a 2008 honda civic?

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

What kind of alarm was installed on the car? Is it a Honda alarm or an after market alarm (what brand)? If an after market alarm, do you have a valet switch? Please let me know, so I can further assist you. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
its an auto page rs 900 with remote start.It is aftermarket. i've checked all the fuses and all are good. i have also hooked up a bypass for the antitheft as well but have only connected it to the light green data wire on the transponder device around the key. i have not cut any wires at all. i do have a valet switch but i have not installed any type of starter interupt at all.
the engine cranks but will not run what so ever.

OK,

Do you have the remote start hooked up & working? Can you get the alarm to go into valet mode, then able to start the car? Did the no start condition happen after you installed alarm? Is the bypass, part of the alarm (Autopage) itself or separate from the alarm?

I think the bypass to the factory immobilizer may be causing the problems. But we'll see. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i removed the bypass just to be sure. i am in the process of removing the alarm... i just want the car to run as it did before(ha ha). I have 2 keys, one is grey and the other has the keyless entry on the key. the bypass i s seperate from the alarm. the alarm worked fine, i never tried to remote start the car because i noticed the car wouldnt start with the key.Since then i checked all fuses just to be sure.No blown fuses.the car wont start with the key.im sorry i didnt mention this before, i dont care bout makin the alrm work i just want to start the car with the key.i'm done with the alarm, its comin out, i just want the car to start. i noticed the car wouldnt start when i tried to start the car just to make sure the battery hadn't drained due to the interior lights being on, but this was after i had installed the alarm.

OK,

The key you will want not to use is the gray one, that is the valet key & not recommended to use if you are having these type of troubles. As long as the bypass is removed from the immobilizer, the car should start. Here is a diagram (Civic coupe, should be same for sedan) of the keys:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/ASVA20/ASVA2008OMA.pdf

Look for pages 79-81 or pages 76-78. You should have a total of 3 keys. 2 with transponders & 1 valet key. I think also with the use of the after market alarm, your keys may have been to close to the immobilizer system, or multiple keys near it. If you have the 2nd transponder key, get that, with all of the after market alarm disconnected & see if the car will start. Also, you can try to disconnect the battery for approximately 10-15 minutes to try to reset the systems. Then try with only the transponder key to see if it will start. Last resort, may be taking to the dealer to have them reset & re-code keys. Let them know, you took it to a stereo shop & they could not get it to work. Honda will have a big issue with you installing it. You may be able to get it covered under a goodwill warranty. Please let me know, if you need sedan information or any other questions. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i noticed that the little green"key" light on the dash does not light up when i insert any key and turn the ignition on. i have disconected the battery. I have installed alarms for about 8 yrs now and never had a problem like this. i used to work for a install shop but now do installs to make extra money.the battery has been disconected for the entire time we've been talkin.if all else fails i have no choice but to take the car to the dealership. but to your knowledge is there anyway to trouble shoot this problem?

OK,

From what I am finding, it says to try the keys, one at a time, till the key or keys are recognized. Keep all keys separate from one another while trying this. The immobilizer light should come on for about 2 seconds & either go off or start to blink. Not sure why it is not coming on. I would try one key at a time, hopefully is will sync up & start car. So with the alarm completely disconnected, are all the wires are the way you found them when you started? I did find some information on a Honda bypass module:

http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/556HW.pdf

I'm not sure if that was very similar to what you were using. It shows 2 different modes & cutting wires. If you did not cut wires, how did you hook it up? If not, you are going to have to take to the dealer. Please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Expert:  jimh replied 8 years ago.
HI YOU NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER THEY CAN RUN A FUNCTION TEST ON THE IMMOBLIZER AND TELL YOU WHAT IS NOT WORKING INSTEAD OF GOING ALL OVER THE INTERNET AND CUTTING ALL SORT S OF WIRES AND CAUSING MORE PROBLEMS
jimh, Honda Technician
Experience: honda master tech ase master tech