02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

1999 Honda: I need the radio code..CRV...battery went dead

Customer Question

I need the radio code for a 1999 Honda CRV. The battery went dead and I had to change it and now the radio is locked out and won't work. Or tell me where I can find the code on my car.
Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

You can check with the owner's manual for a white credit card sized card with the anti-theft radio code on it or check to see if there is sticker in the glove box. If no luck you will have to pull the radio. Here is a link to help you out:

https://radio-navicode.honda.com/

Give that a try. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have the owner's manual. We bought the car used and did not come with one. I tried the site you suggested, but do not have the serial number of the radio.

Then you will need to remove the radio itself. The serial # XXXXX XXXXX the radio unit itself. Here is some instructions to help remove the radio:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/crv/Crvcd.pdf

You will need to follow for just the stereo removal portion of this. Once you get the serial #, you can use the link from earlier post or contact your local Honda dealer & get the code for free with the serial # XXXXX given. If you have any other questions, please feel free contact me again. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I there any other way of getting the serial number or the code without having to take the radio out? I just didn't want to have to go thru all that work.

You can try to disconnect the battery for approximately 10-15 minutes & try the buttons 1 & 6 like in the very first link I sent you. If it does not work, you have no other choice but to remove some panels to access the radio to get the serial #. If you had a 2001 or newer vehicle, it would not be an issue. Try that & please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I still can't get the serial number using the last suggestion you gave, so I guess I will have to take the radio out to get it. The navicode link that you gave me will also ask me for my address and phone number that is on file. I have a previous address, but I don't remember our previous telephone. If I can get the radio out and get the serial number, will I be able to get the code using just the car's vin #, serial number and old address? Also, if I took it to a dealer for them to fix, do you know how much it might cost?

OK,

You can try inputting your old information & your new information, hopefully one of them will work. If it says required item needed, you will need to put information in there. You can also call the # XXXXX the link during the hours of operation, M-F, closed weekends. If you can get me the serial #, I can have a fellow expert able to get me the code for you.

If you choose to take it to the dealer they may charge you .50-1.00 hours of labor at whatever there labor rate is. I would say approximately $75 +/- $25. Any other questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I finally got got the radio out and tried the Navicode site, but I don't know what phone number and address is on file with Honda, but I do have the serial number. The serial number of the radio is: 98F45305. The model number is XXXXX and the ref. number is XXXXX See if your expert friend can find the code for this. Thanks.

OK,

I have sent a request to get the radio code for you. Appreciate your patience. I will let you know, as soon as I can. Thank you.

Wes

OK,

I got something here, try this 42254. Hopefully that will work for you. Any other questions, please let me know. I would like to thank Jim for the help. Thank you.

Wes

OK,

Correction. This may be the correct radio code, 26152. Try on of these & can you let me know which is correct, please. Thanks to lorunner for the help. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, neither one work. Try again please. Thank you.

OK,

The last code is the one for the serial # XXXXX gave me. You may need to disconnect battery for 10-15 minutes & remove the antenna lead if you have not done it. Once done with that, turn the key to ON position, turn radio on, input the code. Once input the code correctly the radio will beep & turn on. You may need to slowly input the #'s on the radio. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience: 3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I did all that and it still didn't work. I guess I'll have to buy another radio. Anyway thanks for all your help. I guess I'll pay you now.

OK,

Just curious did you ever get any type of error message when trying to input the code? Please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, when I first input the code, it said Code err 1. When I did it again, it said Code err 2. It would continue until I ran out of chances to input the code and then it would just say Err.

OK,

This is right out of the owner's manual, what to do for you. Here:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/CR9999/CR9999O00129A.pdf

Look for page 9 or page 137. Try that & see if that helps, I know, it seems like a lot of work, but it should work, unless the serial # XXXXX gave me was wrong. Try that out & any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, maybe I wrote the serial # XXXXX wrong. I'll check later this week. I also noticed a number stamped on the back of the radio. Would that be a serial # XXXXX Its different than the serial #. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks

OK,

Try that what I just sent you & let me know the other stuff. Thank you.

Wes

Good morning!

Did you get a chance to recheck the radio? If you found any other #'s please let me know. Thank you. Have a great day.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, sorry I haven't had to chance to reckeck the radio. I'll try to that when I get the opportunity.

OK,

Sounds good, let me know if you need any other help. Thank you.

Wes