AutoTech08, Workshop owner
Experience:  Diploma in Automotive Engineering, 30 years working experience.

92 Accord: replaced fuel pump..fuel pump relay, & fuel filter

Customer Question

I have 92 Accord i have replaced fuel pump, fuel pump relay, & fuel filter. I still have no fuel delivery (pump does not run). I am showing (d4) error constant light on ignition start. Not sure where to go from here thanks
Category: Honda
Expert:  AutoTech08 replied 8 years ago.

Hi there,

Since D4 error is noted, you should try to retrieve the diagnostic code and find out what it is.

No fuel pump operations and D4 light showing are usually due to the PGM-FI relay. Did you replace with a new or used unit? Did you check for power supply to the PGM-FI main relay?

With ignition switch on, Black/Yellow wire should have power supply.

Yellow/Blue = Fuse # XXXXX underdash fuse box.

Black/Yellow = Fuse # XXXXX under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hey, what is the procedure for reading code on this? I replaced with new relay and will check power supply this a.m. all fuses checked good with test light. i forgot to mention fuel sending unit is also not working. Is the PGM-FI relay the one above the cruise control relay/computer.

Hi there,

To read the code you need to connect the SCS connector, turn ignition switch ON and count the number of flashes.

Long flashes = 10

Short = 1.

Sending unit and fuel pump uses separate circuits. To test you can easily access it via the service cover located inside the trunk. With ignition switch ON, ground the wire at sensing unit and if meter works, you need to test/replace sending unit. You can test the fuel low warning light as well.

Connecting SCS.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
found it (I feel kinda dumb) was simply disconected connection under and behind rear seat. the spare tire/trunk floor had come forward and broken the retainer clip on the disconnect which started as a intermittent starting problem and then completly seperated. so no power to pump. fixed the clip and it started with no problem, sending unit works, d4 is off also. thanks for your help wouldnt have found it as easily if i had not been testing the sending unit.