02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

What would be the best replacement tires for my daughters

What would be the best replacement tires for my daughter's 2004 Honda Accord EX V-6 Coupe? She is in school on Long Island NY and needs tires that can handle the winter weather. I am price concerned, but also want a good all weather tire which will be safe during the winter

This car has an automatic transmission, not manual.

Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

I would recommend contacting The Tire Rack or Discount Tire on line. They have a good selection of summer or winter tires that would pair up good with the car. The have great support to help you with whatever you need. It is a personal preference overall. What brand tire & cost are usually the factors. Also will you be purchasing another set of steel wheels or factory aluminum wheels to have the winter tires mounted on, then come summer time, you can change over to the summer wheels & tires. You may check with the tire manufacturer of the tires on the car now, to see if they make a winter tire also. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, I was actually going to purchase replacement tires which have to be used year around. They will be mounted on the wheels which came with the car. I have looked at several different tires but the information is confusing and ranges from my being told I must buy a V rated tire to being told that an H or R is ok. This car will be carrying a precious cargo (my daughter), but price is a consideration as I am in my 60s and retired. I was hoping for guidance as to whether the Michelins, or Bridgestone, or Goodyear tires were the best choice for this car. Since I need four tires the price range seems to be in the 500-600 dollar range. Ouch!!!! Am I spending too much?

Thanks,
Mary

Mary,

So what it sounds like you are looking for is an all weather tire, that doesn't cost a lot of money, with great tire performance & will last for a period of time? Also, does it have to be specifically those brand of tires or is something else ok? Let me see what I can find if that is what you are exactly looking for & will get back to you. Please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, it does not have to be specifically those brands. You have it exactly. I am looking for great performance and endurance, and hopefully a good performer in the winter weather.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary,

I found something from Tire Rack. This is there price, you may be able to beat it at your local tire shop? This is what I would recommend, I do like the V ratings due to the higher speed it can handle. Here it is:

Stock size tire is 205/60/16. Goodyear Eagle GT-$84.00; Sumitomo HTR+-$76.00; Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid-$87.00; Dunlop SP Sport Signature-$82.00; Firestone Firehawk GT-$86.00; Yokohama AVID V4S-$87.00. If you want you can check them out on their website, it gives more information about the tires.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again. Thank you.

Wes

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience: 3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.