jimh
jimh, Honda Technician
Experience:  honda master tech ase master tech
11886422

have a 1999 honda civic turns over but no spark at plugs

Category: Honda
Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
hi check the coil in the dist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
with the key on, i check it with a test light, i checked the coil, and both negative and positive was hot. i also checked the mogil with a test light and two of the leads lit up but one of them didnt. i bought the car used from a neighbor, the car was wrecked with front-end damage, but did not hurt the ratiator, the car sat for 3 months. they told me they drove it to the house and then it just sat. but i did pull the plug out, and did not see any spark plug arking.
Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
if coil checks out also ch for burn marks on coil if it looks good ch the igniter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to pick and pull today and pulled 2 igniters from a couple car and tried them. They did not work the car did not start. Its got to be something pretty stupid. Im getting ready to just go ahead and take it to the shop.
Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
hi did you remove the coil and check for burn marks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes and no. was not too sure what to look for like I said in our first email I did put a test light on both terminals and my test light lit up. I just thought the coil was good. I just 5 min ago pulled the coil out and there is signs of white burn marks on the bottom. and also 1 up on the top. the coil is $60 at auto zone if thats not the problem I guess I could return it they are pretty good about that. I just figured if the test ligt lit up on both sides it was good.

Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
hi the tast light will show power but it wont give the reading in volts that is when a mater works better good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the coil checked its reading what its supposed to. I appreciate your patience. What else should I check for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i had the coil checked ,it good what else could it be please help
Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
hi by chance when you turn on the key does the ch engune lite come on for a few seconds then go off ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes . and no codes
Expert:  jimh replied 5 years ago.
hi it has to be the coil or igniter in the distributer make sure you have a brown nec igniter
jimh, Honda Technician
Experience: honda master tech ase master tech