Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

1992 Honda accord LX: front brakes were not releasing..calipers..hoses

Customer Question

I have a 1992 Honda accord LX. The front brakes were not releasing . I replaced the calipers and the brake hoses. The problem is still there. It works fine when the vehicle is cold, but after driving it for 30 to 45 mins. the front calipers do not release and the brake pedal gets "very" hard. When attempting to come to a stop @ a red light, there is no need to press the brake pedal, just release the accelerator and the car will stop on it's own. Any suggestions ?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 5 years ago.

It sure sounds like the problem lies with the brake master cylinder. Most likely its not allowing the pressure to release. I recommend replacing it, then make sure to adjust the rear brakes and bleed the system.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply.

If not, please click on ACCEPT

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The brake line runs from the master cyl. to a distribution block inside the engine compartment next to the wheel well. From the block two outlet lines come out , one going to the front wheels and the other going to the rear wheels. If it were the master cyl. not alowing the pressure to release, why is only the front wheels not releasing and not the rear ?

Thats because there are two chambers in the master, through the way of valving.

There is a primary and secondary valve action, the primary is for the rear (they should apply first to avoid "nose dipping) and the secondary for the front.

graphic

Virtual Wrench (L J), Honda Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I understand the primary and secondary valve action. There are TWO lines coming from the master cyl. One of those lines goes to a block, then from the block splits up and goes to the front and rear wheels on the left side of the vehicle. The other line goes to a seperate block, then from the block splits up and goes to the front and rear wheels on the right hand side of the vehicle. The way the lines are "plumbed" , if the secondary valve action was not allowing the pressure to release, wouldn't it be the right front and rear wheels not releasing instead of the two front wheels ??

First off,,,are you sure the rear brakes are fully adjusted up? If not the fronts are doing all the work, and as they get hot, the fluid expands and can be applying the front brakes. Let me know...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will have to check on that. I have not even looked @ the rear brakes. It will be later on today before I will be able to check that out. But if I check the rear and they are O.K. and adjusted properly, then what ?

Thanks,,

Go ahead and check them, adjust them up untill they have a slight drag and get back to me then...lets start there before we go discussing other possibilities :-)

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.K. , I will do that. But as I said , it will not be until later on today before I will be able to do that. The car is at home and I am @ my regular job until 6:00 c.s.t. . It will be the first thing that I do when I get back home , and I will get back with you just as soon as I check that out !
I'll be in and out all day, and check in on ya...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
O.K. , I will do that. But as I said , it will not be until later on today before I will be able to do that. The car is at home and I am @ my regular job until 6:00 p.m. c.s.t. . It will be the first thing that I do when I get back home , and I will get back with you just as soon as I check that out ! Thankyou ! Sorry, I couldn't get back with you last night, I pulled the rear wheels and checked out the rear shoes for wear and adjustment. They had plenty of pad left and were a little out of adjustment. I made approx. a round and a half on the adjustment wheel to bring them back into proper adjustment. That still did not solve the problem. I rode the car for about 30 minutes and the front calipers hung up again. So I took your original advice and replaced the master cylinder. It solved the problem, brakes work fine now. Thankyou for your help, I will return if I ever run into any more mind-boggling situations ! Smile

Good Job!

Thank YOU for using Just Answer!