02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

Why cant my daughter jump start her 09 civic without the alarm

Customer Question

Why can't my daughter jump start her 09 civic without the alarm going off and deactivating the engine?
Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer?

What model & how many doors Civic do you have (ex. 4DR LX)? Is there an after market alarm or the factory alarm installed on the vehicle? Please let me know so I can further assist you. Thank you.

Wes

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience: 3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's and 09ex with a some kind of factory installed alarm. scheduled to do lojack but hasn't had it installed yet
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to pay more to get a final answer?

OK,

The remote pad does it say Honda or something else? If it is a factory Honda remote try this from the owner's manual. Here it is:

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/ANA090/ANA0909OM.pdf

It will be page 229 or page 223. It has instructions as to what to do if car alarm starts to sound. Has the factory stereo been removed?

If it is not a factory alarm, there should be a valet switch mounted somewhere under the dash to disable the alarm & able to start it up. Please let me know. Thank you.

No you do not have to pay more, unless you would like to pay a bonus, but it is not required.

Wes

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to let you know, I'm doing this by cell phone with my daughter. The battery is so dead that the car saves the alarm set. I asked her to try to open the hood try jumping the battery and the unlock the door with the key to shut off the alarm. And, no the stereo has'nt been removed. She's only had the car 6 days. She was charging something and left it in the car. My 06 accord won't charge when it's off. She may even have a defective battery or something else.

OK,

If she can not get the car started , I would recommend calling AAA if you have them & have the vehicle towed to the dealership. They would be able to properly check the battery & anything else that may be possibly causing the problem. I believe more car's are now coming with an accessory plug that is on all the time. You definitely have to be careful with that. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me again. Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My daughter was talking to a tech who works in a battery shop today at her office. He suggested that she put the key in the driver's side door and lock/unlock the door several times with the key. She did that and put a battery charger on the battery without the alarm going off and was able to start the car. That is what I suggested after reading the manual on either page 23 or 24 that talked about the car storing the lock sequence even when the battery is 'dead'. Thanks for giving me the link to the manual.She had left her ipod plugged in before at work for 4 or 5 hours,but this time it was all night. My 06 Accord doesn't power the accessory plugs when the ignition is off.

Hopefully the dealer will cover the warranty for a new battery I hope. Glad to of helped! Have a great rest of the week. Thank you.

Wes