Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,

loud rumbling noise..50-60 mph on 2003 crv intermitment..overhead

Loud "rumbling noise" only at 50-60 mph on 2003 CRV intermitment. Sounds like a helicopter is overhead.
HelloCustomer when you do not hear the noise is the vehicle perfectly quiet? Is there any vibration associated with the noise? Is the vehicle 2 orXXXXX
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At all other speeds the vehicle drives perfectly normally. In fact even at the range where it exhibits the noise it doesn't do it all the time, just now and then. There is no vibration in the wheel or pedal even when the noise is being heard.It's aXXXXX
I've replaced the tires and had them re-balanced.
Okay. The most common thing I have seen that causes an intermittent noise like this is the rear differential. It is common for this to make noise if the fluid gets dirty. Dirty fluid can also cause the rear limited slip clutches to engage which can cause noise also. I would have the fluid checked,changed and see if it affect the issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just checked my records and had the rear differential fluid changed at 56K and the CRV now has 70K.
I did get sounds at low speeds and when turning and the rear differential fluid change solved that.

This is a much more pronounced sound and quite loud.

Can you tell if it is coming from the front or the rear?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It seems to be from the right side (passenger) and more towards the front than the back.
Okay, then I would look more into the possibility of a bad cv joint or an axle that may be slightly out of balance. This will sometimes cause an intermittent vibration and noise.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could it be the right front caliper sticking? Have you seen brake issues that cause this type of thing?
My daughter took it in to Capital Honda in Michigan in April complaining of this noise and they said the right front caliper was sticking and they replaced the right front caliper flex line.

The last place I took it to (Honda-Schaumburg) wants to replace the caliper, bearing, ABS sensor and flush the system.

Your reaction?
I think they are just shooting in the dark. It could be the bearing and that is just about it. I really do not see a caliper or sensor causing this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That's my sense also.
Thanks for the discussion,it helped my thinking.
Please let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
One last question, if I replace the wheel bearing should I also replace the hub? Is it best to replace them together?
There is no reason to replace the hub also if it is not bent. I would replace the bearing only.