Carguy1
Carguy1, certified tech
Experience:  25 years experience, Subaru&Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru tech
2921078

1994 ACURA: VALVES..THE NEW TIMING BELT AND PUT..WATER PUMP..PULL

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1994 ACURA INTEGRA, IT BROKE A TIMING BELT. PEOPLE TOLD ME IT WAS A INTERFERENCE MOTOR BUT NOTHING HIT(PISTON/VALVES). IN ORDER TO INSTALL THE NEW TIMING BELT AND PUT IN A NEW WATER PUMP AT THE SAME TIME IT LOOKS LIKE PEOPLE PULL THE MOTOR? IT IS VERY TIGHT IN THERE AND ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET TO. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GO ABOUT THIS?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 5 years ago.
Hi there!It is very tight.You do not have to pull the engine.You have to remove the side motor mount and put a jack under the engine.You should also remove the rf tire and the inner shields.You will have to work above and below the fender.Here is some info to get you started.Make sure you put the #1 cylinder on top dead center and when you are done make sure you can turn the engine over by hand.If you need the timing marks let me know.I will also have to know what engine you have in it.Thanks
  1. Remove the negative battery cable.

See Figures 1 and 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Loosening the timing belt cover bolts-Integra shown
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Remove the middle cover spacer
  1. Remove the splash shield from the wheel well.
  2. Remove the power steering pump by loosening the adjusting bolts and removing the mounting bolts.
  3. Loosen the adjusting and idler pulley bracket bolt to free the belt.
  4. Loosen the adjusting nut and then the mounting nuts to allow the alternator belt to be removed.
  5. If equipped, remove the cruise control actuator.
  6. Remove the side engine mount bolts, then remove the mount.
  7. Remove the valve cover (this is the upper timing belt cover).
  8. Remove the crankshaft dampener bolt.
  9. Remove the crankshaft dampener; this will allow access to the lower timing belt cover.
  10. Remove the fasteners and remove the lower timing belt cover.

Be careful when removing the crankshaft damper bolt. Excessive force may snap or strip the bolt.

1. The middle timing cover can be removed by unbolting the two fasteners.
Carguy1, certified tech
Experience: 25 years experience, Subaru&Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru tech
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IT IS A 1.8 4 CYL. AND I DO NEED THE TIMING MARKS, WHICH CYL. IS # XXXXX AND WHICH PLUG WIRE IS # XXXXX HAVING SOME PROBLEM WITH THE HARMONIC BALANCER NOT SURE IF BOLT IS LEFT HAND OR RIGHT BUT IT IS TIGHT!!

BUT SO FAR GOOD ADVICE.

Expert:  Carguy1 replied 5 years ago.
More info:
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Replace the timing and balancer shaft belts at no more that 105,000 miles (168,000km). Acura also specifies that under extreme conditions the timing and balancer shaft belts should be replaced more frequently, at 60,000 miles (100,000 km). These abnormal conditions include very high temperatures over 110°F (43°C) or very low ambient temperatures of minus 20°F (-29°C).

1.8L Engines

1. Remove the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the splash shield from the wheel well.

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of the timing belt and cover assembly—1.8L engine
  1. Remove the power steering pump by loosening the adjusting bolts and removing the mounting bolts.
  2. Loosen the adjusting and idler pulley bracket bolt on the (A/C) to free the belt.
  3. Loosen the adjusting nut and then the mounting nuts to allow the alternator belt to be removed.
  4. Remove the cruise control actuator if equipped.
  5. Remove the side engine mount bolts and then mount.
  6. Remove the valve cover.
  7. Remove the crankshaft bolt.

2. Remove the lower timing belt cover.
  3. The timing belt tensioner adjusting bolt must now be loosened no more than180°.

See Figure 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: View of the timing belt tensioner
  1. The tension on the belt can be released by pushing against it.
  2. After the tension is released retighten the adjusting bolt.
  3. Remove the timing belt from the pulleys.

If oil leakage is detected around the camshaft or crankshaft seals, replace them.

1. Remove the camshaft pulley(s) by removing the bolt(s) from the pulley(s).
  2. The camshaft pulleys do not need to be match marked to the location of the camshafts. They are machined to only go on in one direction via the use of a woodruff key. It is a good idea to mark the pulleys left and right respectively.
To install:
  1. Install the camshaft pulleys.

Clean the covers before installation. The smallest piece of dirt may cause premature belt failure.

1. Set the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys as in the illustration before installing the timing belt.
  2. Set the crankshaft so that the No. 1 position is at top dead center (TDC). Position the groove on the teeth side of the belt to the pointer of the oil pump.
  3. Install the timing belt, its components, and covers.
  4. Align the TDC marks located on the intake and exhaust pulleys.

See Figure 3

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Position the camshaft sprockets with the arrows in the "UP" position—1.8L engine
  1. Install the belt in the following sequence:
    1. Timing belt drive pulley.
    2. Adjusting pulley.
    3. Water pump pulley.
    4. Exhaust camshaft pulley.
    5. Intake camshaft pulley.
WARNING
Turning the crankshaft in the clockwise direction may cause the timing belt to not seat properly causing component damage.
  1. Turn the crankshaft about four to six turns counterclockwise to ensure that the belt properly seats on the pulleys.
  2. Set the number one piston at top dead center (TDC).
  3. Loosen the adjusting bolt (180°only)
  4. Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 3 teeth on the camshaft pulley, then tighten he adjusting bolt to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm).

See Figure 4

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Direction of rotation of the crankshaft pulley—1.8L engine
  1. Check that the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys are at TDC.

If the camshaft pulley is not positioned at TDC, remove the timing belt and repeat the above procedures.

1. Install the valve cover.
  2. Install the engine mount(s).
  3. If equipped, install the cruise control actuator.

Lubricate the crankshaft pulley bolt with engine oil.

See Figure 5

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: Lubricate the crankshaft pulley bolt with engine oil—1.8L engine
  1. Install the crankshaft damper and damper mounting bolt. Tighten the mounting bolt to 130 ft. lbs. (177 Nm).
  2. Install the alternator, A/C, and power steering accessories.
  3. Install the splash shield into the wheel well.
  4. Connect the negative battery cable.
  5. Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: 1.8L (B18B1 and B18C1) Engines Firing order: 1-3-4-2 Distributor rotation: Clockwise
  6. I am not sure if the crank bolt is a left handed thread or not.I will see if I can find out for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

TO THIS DAY THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE PULLEY ON CRANK SHAFT WILL NOT COME OFF. I HAVE BROKEN 2-SOCKETS, AND 1-STRAP WRENCH TRYING. I HAVE ALSO USED LIQUID WRENCH EVERYDAY FOR A WEEK. IMPACT SET AT 125 PSI AND IT STILL WONT. I GOT AN ELECTRIC IMPACT SO HOT IT KICKED OFF AND SMOKED THE BRUSHES.

OUT OF POSSIBILITIES VINCE

Expert:  Carguy1 replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,I spoke with another expert who is an acura master tech.He said the bolt is a standard right hand thread,however it is so tight he uses a 3/4 inch impact gun to remove it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

WELL IT IS ALL BACK TOGETHER AND IT IDLES FINE BUT HAS NO POWER, IT IS LIKE A TIMING THING. I KNOW # XXXXX PISTON WAS AT THE TOP OF IT'S STROKE THE CAM PULLEYS ARE LINED UP PERFECT AND THE DISTRIBUTOR, ROTOR IS POINTED AT THE # XXXXX PLUG WIRE. I AM STUCK.

VINCE

Expert:  Carguy1 replied 5 years ago.
Vince,try rotating the distributor a little bit either way and see if the power increases.You may have bent valves although normally it would idle rough if that were the case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

IF THEY WERE BENT WOULD'NT I BE GETTING ALOT OF EXHAUST COMING OUT THE OIL FILLER CAP BECAUSE THE VALVES ARE NOT SEALING?

VINCE

Expert:  Carguy1 replied 5 years ago.
It would depend on which valves were bent.If they were exhaust you would be losing everything out the tail pipe.Normally they idle pretty rough though.It may very well be a timing issue.If you have a light you could check the timing.