Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

1995 Honda: cylinder..i set the cam pulleys and harmonic balance

Customer Question

1995 Honda Passport Timing belt broke while at idle I need to replace the belt, 6 cylinder DOHC. How do i set the cam pulley's and harmonic balance for proper timing.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jonathan L. Onny replied 8 years ago.
you need to position the left cam gear in the noon position with the number1 or there is sometimes a noch on the cam gear outside ring. look for it sometimes if you run the back of your nail of the front of the gear you can feel the noch. once you have that set up go to the right cam gear closes to the radiator and look for a number 1 and line it up with the noch on the backing plate for the timing belt. there should also be one for the left gear. finally position you crank pully the timing gear arrow points noon. matching up to the line on the front cover. let me now if this helps thank you for using just answers. im here to help and dont be shy in asking me for more information.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
as this is not a rotary engine neither pulley is closer to the radiator.The metal backing plate does have a dimple machined into it by both pulleys the passenger side is at 9 oclock and drivers dimple is at 3 oclock alreay tried lining up with these 2 spots and the harmonic at 0 degress didnt work. the cover for the timing belt does have timing degress on it from 0 to 20 degrees which is about 11 oclock for 0 degrees which i assume is TDC is that correct?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 years ago.

You are correct on the cam marks. On the crankshaft, there is an alignment mark on crankshaft sprocket that should align at 9 o'clock position and and alingment notch that should line up at 3 o'clock position with alignment mark on the oil pump. Below are full directions with diagrams to help:

Timing

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When rotating the cam pulleys they come to rest either above or below the dimple. should the pulley's be postitioned right at the dimple which i guess puts them somewhere on the high side of the cam? Sorry it's taken so long to get back with you it's been raining for day's