jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience
10199176

car wont start.... when is the on position gauges flicker and

Customer Question

car wont start.... when is the on position gauges flicker and make clicking sound... then when you turn the key everything goes out
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 8 years ago.
Hello
that sounds like the battery has low voltage what did you try to jump start it with?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
with jumper cables and a truck... everything works fine if you jiggle the key in the ignition it just wont start and a wierd thing to add..... the panic and the lock button on the key ring doesnt work... we were thinking problem with car alarm or ignition... battery is fine
does the engine spin when you try and start it? turn the headlight on and see if they are on and bright when trying to start it also
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
lights are on and bright no engine spin
can you explain what you meant by jiggling the key more
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
when you stick the key in and turn just to turn the gauges and what not on everything flickers and clicks.... but if you jiggle the keys in that position you cant get everything to be the way its supposed to be.... then while everything looks good when you turn the key to try and start it everything goes out(lights, gauges ac/heater lights, navigation) and nothing happens
how many miles and is your civic a hybrid?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
60,000 and no not a hybrid
if the battery is ok and you say you can make the dash lights be ok by moving the key around the only thing I can think of would be the ignition switch . the older accords had alot of problem with the switches and you could get them to act up by moving the key around like that
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
is there a way for me to fix that... or would honda have to do it and about how much does it cost
you should really test it first you would need a meter to measure voltage to do so . usually about 1.5 to 2. hrs labor to replace one
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how would i go about testing a ignition switch?
do you have a meter to measure voltage?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no but ill buy one tomorrow if you can give me the steps to test it... and something else my wife and i have noticed lately that when we drive the car even just a mile.. when we take the key out its extremely hot
I can look up some info for you tomorrow if that is ok it it is getting late here tonight
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok thats fine thank you for your help and goodnight sorry for all the replys
no problem I will look that up for you tomorrow
something came up and it will be later this after noon before I can get that info together for you I will opt out in case you need it sooner one of the other experts should be able to get it for you also
sorry I couldn't get that info sooner today . Do you still need help with it?