02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience:  3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
10077428

2000 accord ex: power windows..all fuses are..relay..control module

Customer Question

My power windows (all) on a 2000 accord ex stopped working completley, all fuses are good, I cannot find a relay or control module? I am confident my window motors and switches are good. I need help to get started!
Category: Honda
Expert:  02hondafreak replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer!

I found this:

http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/qt/honda_mcu_reset.htm

I'm not really certain how effective it is, but you never know it may work. If not please let me.

You stated you have a 2000 Honda Accord EX. Do you have leather interior, 4 cylinder or V6?

Thank you.

Wes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
apologies for the late reply, it is a 2.3 - 4cyl with cloth interior, I tried what the link said, it did not work. It was fixed by a local dealer once, with which I was unhappy with as it broke again within a week. I believe it had something to do with a multiplex motor relay? I'm not sure of my terminology. Please let me know of any more info you may need, It would be helpfull to me to get my hands on a system diagram or something, thanks for your help.

You had a Honda dealer fix the problem about a week ago or so? If an authorized Honda dealer did the repair, the repair should be covered for @ least 12 months or 12K. You may want to check with them to see if they will honor there work, like they are supposed to.

What exactly was repaired?

Here are is something else I found:

Inspect|Test

If the power windows operate too slowly, this indicates a possible problem. The first step in checking out a power window system is to determine whether the whole system is out or just one or two portions.

• If the whole system is out, the problem can be isolated to fuses, circuit breakers, or the master control switch.
  • If only a portion of the system does not work, check the components used in the portion that is not working.

A power window system. Courtesy of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

&

Test

The window switch and master switch are actually wired in series. A problem with either switch affects motor operation.

A dead motor can be diagnosed with a 12-volt light or voltmeter by first ensuring that B+ is available to both switches. Moving the switches should switch the B+ from one side to the other. By connecting a test light across the switch, the presence of voltage and the switch itself can be checked.

The motor is checked easily by jumping the terminals to B+ and ground. Reversing the connections should reverse the direction of the motor, raising and lowering the window.

Corroded switch contacts are a source of excessive resistance.

The last diagram is a basic diagram of what to test for. I would recommend checking any fuses, relays & the master switch. Also, it might sound a little corky. Is the main switch turned on(off)? That would disable 3 of the windows. Check under hood fuses & under dash fuses, anything that states power windows. Check that car battery is good charge & connections clean & tight also. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you.

Wes

02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
Experience: 3 1/2 years in Honda/Acura dealership-have done it all. 15+ years automotive work history.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had the system looked by a dealer over a year ago , and I am still trying to get them to make it right. The whole system is dead, all windows, including the moon roof have no power and the fuse is good. I remember the dealer looked at the Multiplex control unit and replaced the relay, but the diagram you sent me shows it is located in the passenger fuse panel on the side of the dash, I wonder why the dealer took my whole dash apart. I think the info you sent me will get me started, I will re-check everything myself and see what I can do, I am also going to order the honda shop manual, which was invaluable to me with my last accord.

Let me know what you find. Also I truly believe it is worth the extra $ to purchase a Honda Service manual. They work great, in my opinion. Good luckCustomer Thank you.

Wes