HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician

1990 honda civic: ignition switch..key will stay running

Customer Question

Have 1990 honda cvic need to replace ignition switch. Is this possible or do I have to take to dealer \?? IT WILL START THE CAR BUT SOON AS YOU LET OFF OF KEY MOTOR DIES. If you keep key turned on to the right just a little it will stay running. I took off plastic around around switch, the key switch looks like it is riveted Have any advice? thanks Denny
Category: Honda
Expert:  HONDASERVICE7791 replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcome to,

There should be screws on the back of the switch to disconnect the electrical part of the switch from the key/tumbler.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
wrong answer, needed to get key tumblers out found hole in top put in pin it came out but thanks any way

Oh ok, you didn't mention anything about the tumblers in your original post. The "ignition switch" you mentioned in your post is the electrical part of the switch not the key/tumbler assembly you were trying to take out.