jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience
10199176

I need to change the rear brakes on my 2004 Honda Odyssey.

Customer Question

I need to change the rear brakes on my 2004 Honda Odyssey. Do I need special tools or is there anything I should be worried about?
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 8 years ago.

Hello

You will need something to compress the pistion of the caliper you can use a large pair of pliers or a c-clamp if you are removing the rotors an Impact driver works best to remove the screws holding it on ler me know if you have any questions the directions on pad replacement are below

2004 ODYSSEY - Rear Brake Pad Inspection and Replacement

'02-04 Models

Frequent inhalation of brake pad dust, regardless of material composition, could be hazardous to your health.

• Avoid breathing dust particles.

• Never use an air hose or brush to clean brake assemblies. Use an OHSA-approved vacuum cleaner.

Inspection

1. Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations. Remove the rear wheels.

1. Check the thickness of the inner pad (A) and outer pad (B). Do not include the thickness of the backing plate.

Brake Pad Thickness:

Standard:

9.5-10.5 mm (0.37-0.41 in.)

Service Limit:

1.6 mm (0.06 in.)

2. If the brake pad thickness is less than the service limit, replace all the brake pads as a set.

Replacement

1. Remove the flange bolts (A) while holding the pins (B) with a wrench being careful not to damage the pin boot, and remove the caliper (C). Check the hose and pin boots for damage and deterioration. To prevent damage to the caliper assembly or brake hose, use a short piece of wire to hang the caliper from the undercarriage.

1. Remove the pad shims (A) and pads (B).

1. Remove the pad retainers (A).

2. Clean the caliper thoroughly; remove any rust, and check for grooves and cracks.

3. Check the brake disc for damage and cracks.

4. Clean and install the pad retainers.

1. Apply Molykote M77 grease or Daikalub 528D grease to the pad side of the outer shims (A), both sides of the inner shim (B), the back of brake pads (C), and the other areas indicated by the arrows. Wipe excess grease off the pad shims and brake pads. Contaminated brake discs or pads reduce stopping ability. Keep grease off the brake discs and pads.

2. Install the brake pads and pad shims correctly. Install the brake pad with the wear indicator (D) on the inside.

If you are reusing the brake pads, always reinstall the brake pads in their original positions to prevent a momentary loss of braking efficiency.

1. Push in the piston (A) so the caliper will fit over the brake pads. Make sure the piston boot is in position to prevent damaging it when installing the caliper.

NOTE: Check the brake fluid level, the brake fluid may overflow the reservoir if too full.

2. Install the caliper into position. Install the flange bolts (B), and torque them to the specified torque while holding the pin (C) with a wrench being careful not to damage the pin boot.

3. Press the brake pedal several times to make sure the brakes work, then test-drive the vehicle.

NOTE: Engagement of the brake may require a greater pedal stroke immediately after the brake pads have been replaced as a set. Several applications of the brake pedal will restore the normal pedal stroke.

4. After installation, check for leaks at hose and line joints or connections, and retighten if necessary.