Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Auto/Diesel Technology,

2004 HOnda Odyssey rear main oil seal leaking.

No Comment Added
Category: Honda
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer do you have a question aout the replacement of this part?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Fixitman's Post: 2004 Honda Odyssey Ream Main oil seal is leaking.

The honda dealership wants 1200.00 to fix it. and the guy at advance auto says it might take a day to do (not dropping the motor) [and he may be talking out his ass]...

I was going to take this on myself and have done alot of engine work before. The Haynes manual says its a full-bore engine/transaxle removal (lowered under the vehicle to remove) and suggests a body frame lift to lift the frame up over the engine once the motor is lowered.

I just dont have $1200 (unemployed at the moment) Time...i do have. Tools...i do have. So i'm considering taking it on.

-is engine removal mandatory to do this?

-on a scale of 1-10 whats the difficulty level.
-would u suggest to walk away from this one?

-what estimate of time might be involved here?

i know that the right tools make any job easy. what i do have are frame jacks, engine hoist, and a full array of tools. but dropping a motor underneath a vahicle is new to me.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
Okay. This is a very extensive job. It can be done in the car though, but us tough wothout a hoist. You need to be able to lift the vehicle high enough to lower the transmisison and subframe from the vehicle. This job takes an experienced mechanic about 8-9 hours.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Fixitman's Post: thanks. You say it can be done in the car. Can you elaborate please.

on the next line you describe the lowering of the engine out of the vehicle (which has me a tad confused from your earlier statement)...umm like how-high and it this feasable with the equipment i described earlier.
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
Okay. You can leave the engine in the vehicle with the proper support hoist. This will hold the engine in the vehicle when the trans and frame are dropped out. Basically you need to get the vehicle high enough to unbolt the transmission from the engine and unbolt the frame and lower it out far enough to access the rear main.About 3 feet or so will do.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Fixitman's Post: so i'd need to get the vehicle frame up 3 feet or better. u mention a "proper support hoist" and it would appear that this hoist would be a pivotol tool.

so if this was your project, and you've no choice but to attempt it from your home garage, how would you go about creating the "proper support hoist" you mention.

What issues would you see with me putting the car up on car-jacks (highest setting) (4 of em) and using the engine hoist to hold the weight of the engine while i use a motorcycle jack to lower the tranny and frame...
Expert:  Fixitman replied 8 years ago.
You have the right idea. The hardest part is vehicle support. You need good jack stands and they cannot be holding the frame in the front. One the vehicle is stable the engine hoist can hold the engine if it extends high enough. And a motorcycle jack can hold the trans and frame. I personally would not worry about it if it is not leaking too bad. This job is quite the undertaking.