jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience

Is it hard to change an egr valve on a 98 accord

No Comment Added
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 5 years ago.
Hello
Do you have a v-6 or 4 cyl engine? Is the check engine light on if so do you know what code is stored?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: V6 and yes the engine light is on. Midas said that if i brought it back they would have to replace the valve, but they are claiming that it will cost $700.00.
Do you know the code number? That price sounds high does that include cleaning the egr port?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
code no, but they cleaned the old one and the check engine light came on again today.
do you know if they cleaned the egr port
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: yes according to this invoice they did
how much did they charge for that you need to remove the upper intake to do so it should be about 3 hrs labor
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: 105, but they did a tune up as well and other things.
I don't think they cleaned the egr ports and did a tune up for 105 dollars . On the 98 accord v-6 if you have a code P0401 = egr insufficient flow or code P1491 = lift Honda sells what they call an egr pipe kit it includes a new egr valve and gasket a throttle body gasket and a pipe to be installed in the intake manifold to help it from clogging again to install the pipe you need to drill the intake you can just clean all the carbon out and it will be ok the I think the kit is under 200 dollars and we charge 3 hrs to replace the valve and clean the port really I think the kit is closer to $ 100 click here for more info on how to make that repair and let me know if you have any questions and if the pipe has already been installed and it is clogged again it only needs to be cleaned out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: Thanks just to clarify the cleaning was 105 i spent 1600 total on service yesterday.

Tune Up
New spark plus, and wires
catalytic converter, and egr cleaning
still the labor to remove the manifold and clean out the port should be about 3 hrs so it should be more that 105 are you wanting to repair yourself?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes at this point, but i am not sure yet.
it isn't too difficult of a job the instructions are in the bulletin main thing is to get all the carbon in the port out then blow it out of the manifold let me know if you need anymore help or questions about how to do it you can repost to this same question at any time I am not always online but if you post to this question I will see it when I get back online
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience: 12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience