jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience
10199176

I have a 2004 honda civic, and my taillights do not ...

Customer Question

I have a 2004 honda civic, and my taillights do not turn on. The break lights work, but no taillights. The fuse box in the engine compartment keeps blowing the fuse I put in it. How do I find out what is causing the fuse to blow?
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 6 years ago.
Hello click here for a photo of the under hood fuse panel is it fuse #2 that blows? Has any work been done to the car or have any accessories been installed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to jonathan789's Post: yes it is the #2 fuse. No work has been done to the car. I had a stereo installed. That was over 2 months ago. The fuse just started to blow the taillights recently.
let me look up some diagrams on that circuit . does it blow as soon as you put the new fuse in? click here for a photo of the under dash fuse box pull out teh taillight relay and see if the fuse still blows
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
its the fuse box inside the engine compartment just above the battery.
pull out the tail light relay from the under dash fuse box and see if the fuse in the under hood box still blows
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there any special tool that I should use to pull this relay out? I've tried to remove the relay and there isn't no easy way out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've pulled out the taillight relay and the fuse did not blow when I placed a fuse in the fuse box. I still do not have lights though.
ok if it didn't blow with the realy out the short is further down the circuit you did say it would blow the fuse as soon as you put the new one in before right if so try unplugging the connecter that goes to the underdash fuse panel refered to as "P" in the photo I sent you before
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i left the relay out, pulled the "P" connector and turned on the lights nothing happended. I put the relay back in, kept the "P" connector out and turned on the lights and the fuse blew.
I meant to tell yo to put the relay back in sorry about that let me look at the diagrams more the connector "P" went to the rear brake lights and tail lights . so the fuse blows as soon as you turned the headlights on ? I looked at the diagrams more since you had a radio installed you may want to reconnect everything the unplugg connector L it is on the back side of the fuse panel it looks like it is for the illumination of the heater contol panel and hazard switches it should rule a problem in that area
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what do you mean by "reconnect everything?" the radio is hooked up by the original factory wires and it had no problem for months, why all of a sudden whould the fuse start to blow?
reconnect connector P and tail light relay . it could have taken some time to get thought insulation to cause short . If it doesn't blow fuse with connector L unplugged the problem maybe in that area unplugging connectors and seeing if short is still present helps narrow down location of the problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there a way to test the relay with an ohm meter?
you can look and see if there is another relay in that panel or the under hood panel with the same part number and if there is switch them
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The taillights are on now! What do i have to do to keep them on plus plug the "L" connector and the relay in at the same time?
so tail lights work and fuse does not blow with connector L unplugged from the fuse panel?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thats correct. What do i do now?
remove the center panel that has the radio and heater control panel and visually inspect for any damage to the wiring did you do the radio install? or do you need directions on removal?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've inspected all the wires that are in the center panel, they all look intact. I also put the "L" connector back on and turned on the lights and the fuse blew! I thought we had it.
if it doesn't blow when L is unplugged and does with it plugged in then it should be something that goes to that connector do you still have the center panel out ?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it only takes a second to pop it out. What do you need me to do?
let me look at the diagrams more can we continue tommorrow I can look in the manual at work it is alittle easier to flip pages than flipping screens sometimes. But if you can I would leave that center panel out until we get it fixed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sure, around what time can i expect you to be online?
mostly after about 8 pm central time but I check in at times during the day and can send you some info earlier
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. I chat with you tomorrow then.
your welcome I will research that tomorrow for you

do the same thing with connectors n then o and see what happens