jonathan789
jonathan789, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  12 yrs auto repair experience 2 yrs honda dealership experience
10199176

2001 honda civic that the gauges dont work

Customer Question

2001 honda civic that the gauges don''t work even with a new cluster assembly
Category: Honda
Expert:  jonathan789 replied 6 years ago.
Hello
Do any of the gauges work? Did you replace it with a new cluster from Honda? was that the reason it was replaced to begin with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I did replace the cluster with a new one thinking that was the problem, and it does the same thing,I'm replacing the eld sensor to see if thats the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it was a new cluster from honda
let me look at some info on that circuit and test for you .You did check fuse #9 in the under hood fuse box and fuse #10 in the under dash fuse box right?
if those two fuses are good you can check the multiplex for codes this is the procedure let me know if you have any questions it says to use a special connector to get codes you can get one from Honda they are not expensive but it would take a few days to get one or you can use a jumper wire

2001 CIVIC - Multiplex Control System Mode 1 Troubleshooting

Mode 1 Test

1. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover.

1. Check the No. 9 (10 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box and the No. 10 (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box.

Are the fuses OK?
    YES -

Go to step 3.

NO -

Find and repair the cause of the blown fuse.¦

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).

If the driver's seat belt is unbuckled, the seat belt reminder will chime 6 times.

2. Set the ceiling light to the center position and close all the doors.

1. Connect the special tool (A) to the multiplex inspection connector (B).

2. After about 5 seconds, the spotlight and ceiling light should come on for 2 seconds, go out, then blink on for 0.2 second to show the system is now in Mode 1.

Did the spotlight and ceiling light indicate Mode 1?
    YES -

Go to step 8.

NO -

Go to step 7.

1. Check for continuity between terminal 4 of the under-dash fuse/relay box connector J and body ground.

Is there continuity?
    YES -

Replace the under-dash fuse/relay box.¦

NO -

Repair the open in the wire. If the wire is OK, repair G301.¦

1. If the DTCs are present, the spotlight and ceiling light will blink to indicate the DTC(s). If more than one DTC is present, the DTCs will be displayed in ascending order. If there are no DTCs, the spotlight and ceiling light will not blink again after the Mode 1 indication.

Are there any DTCs?
    YES -

Go to step 9.

NO -

Go to the Mode 2 test.

1. Troubleshoot the DTC(s) in the order indicated using the following charts.

If a faulty control unit is suspected, substitute it with a known-good part and recheck for DTCs.

• If the DTC(s) is still present, go to the next step for the DTC.

• If the DTC(s) is no longer present, replace the original part.

Individual DTCs

Multiplex

DTC

Probable Cause

1

The multiplex control unit cannot receive signals from the gauge assembly.

1.

Faulty power or ground to the gauge assembly

2.

Faulty gauge assembly

3.

Faulty under-dash fuse/relay box

2

The multiplex control unit cannot receive signals from the ECM/PCM.

1.

Faulty power or ground to the ECM/PCM

2.

Faulty ECM/PCM*

3.

Faulty under-dash fuse/relay box

3

Internal failure of the multiplex control unit.

1.

Faulty under-dash fuse/relay box

5

The gauge assembly cannot receive signals from the multiplex control unit and the ECM/PCM.

1.

2.

Faulty gauge assembly

6

The ECM/PCM cannot receive signals from multiplex control unit and the gauge assembly.

1.

Faulty power or ground to the ECM/PCM

2.

Faulty ECM/PCM*

*Before replacing a Faulty ECM/PCM, make sure it has the latest software revision. Update if necessary before swapping or replacing.

Multiple DTCs

Multiplex

DTCs

Probable Cause

1, 2 and 3&ECM/PCM DTC P0600 Simultaneously

Short to ground on one of the communication wires.

1.

Short to ground on the YEL wire between the ECM/PCM terminal E24 and the under-dash fuse/relay box terminal E10

2.

Short to ground on the WHT/GRN wire between the Gauge assembly terminal A2 and under-dash fuse/relay box terminal K10

3.

Short to ground on the BLU/ORN wire between the keyless receiver unit terminal No. 2 and the under-dash fuse/relay box terminal K2

1 and 6Simultaneously

Open in the communication wire.

1.

Open in WHT/GRN wire between the under-dash fuse/relay box terminal K10 and the Gauge assembly terminal A2

2 and 5Simultaneously

Open in the communication wire.

1.

Open in YEL wire between the under-dash fuse/relay box terminal E10 and ECM/PCM terminal E24