acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1
8300270

What kind of oil should I put in a 1997 Honda CRV that ...

What kind of oil should I use in a 1997 Honda CRV (automatic) that is over 100,000 miles?
you should always use honda ATF-Z1. in this trans and nothing else regardless of millage. as far as the engine use 5w-30 if it dosent use much oil and no thicker than 10w-30 if it does .the clearances in these engines are too tight for anything thicker.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What is ATF-Z1 and what is the difference between 5w=30 and 10w-30? Also, is there a specific brand I should use?
ATF-z1 is the special oil for the auto trans . use a name brand oil and you will be fine .the difference is the higher the number the thicker the oil is so a thicker oil wont burn off as fast. look for this mark on the can and you will be ok. click here
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, i'm sorry, i have one last question. i'm currently running pretty low on oil and i'm afraid that if i drive my car too far it might damage it. can i add a bit of oil myself just to hold me over until i can afford to get the oil changed in a week or so? if yes, how much should i add?

GO ahead and add oil up to the full mark on the stick .use whatever oil you can find that is close to the specified type. its better to have a full crankcase .low oil is never a good thing . then change the oil using the correct type as soon as you can.