lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training
6428861

2002 Honda Accord: cyl..check engine light..Clutch..highway w

Hi
I tried to unlock your answer to question for $3 but no luck - so here is my similar question: I have a 2002 Honda Accord 4 cyl whose check engine light shows PO740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Malfunction. I just drove 400 miles on highway w/ no problem after having engine oil changed. Only has 37,000 miles. After light went on 12 months ago, AAMCO said just needed to reset and suggested replace fluids which I had done at dealership. what could this be + cost? Should I take to dealership or AAMCO as I'm not too comfortable with service center I took it to. thanks

typically the P0740 cant be fixed by changing solenoids. Hondas stand is if the car has over 20k than dont bother with solenoids because they wont help.

The P0740 is more of an internal problem with the Torque converter clutch curcuit of the trans. 99% of the time it results in replacement of the trans. Its possible that the trans shop could rebuild the unit but at honda we dont rebuild trannys we just service them as a complete unit.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to lorunner's Post: i am talking with Honda and then will accept or reply further. i am not completely satisfied with answer as web research points to a lot more info on subject including successful lawsuits against honda for transmission defects w/ same error code etc, answer could have been more complete...anyway- i'll get back to you for a fair remuneration. thanks

Im sure if you search far enough you will find plenty lawsuits on this. There was one that had something to do with the oddometers in the car not tracking mileage right. Honda stepped up and extended the mileages for warrenty purposes to compensate for this.

The earlier 99-01 accords already had a 7year 100k milege extension to cover the trans. I guess that for 02 Honda feels they have the problem fixed.

My best piece of advise would be take the car to the dealer. Let them tell you what it need. Than ask them if there is any kind of assistance honda can give since the car has such low mileage. If they say no than i would personally call Honda customer relations and see what they can do.

As for the legal aspect i have no idea how many lawsuits people have agains this code or against the fact that the transmitions fail. Honestly people are sue happy and look for any reason to sue someone now adays that i really dont care. All i can tell you is from a mechanical stand point is what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix the problem.